Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

smokin resistor

Go down

smokin resistor Empty smokin resistor

Post by bill57 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:45 pm

I've been working on a GE L-633 table model 1942. First I replaced the filter caps and checked the tubes which all checked OK. I have not replaced any paper caps yet. I plugged it in but no sound at all. However tubes do light. After a few minutes, a large 1000ohm 2 watt dogbone resistor on the rectifier tube gets hot and smokes. I think I have a short somewhere however nothing visible. Would it just be the resistor has shorted or is something else causing it to get hot. The resistor still checks out at 1000 ohms. Any suggestions?

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

smokin resistor Empty Re: smokin resistor

Post by sprman on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Do not plug back in till you recap it!You may fry the transformer..Sounds like a shorted cap and or a resistor..Replace all paper caps and check all tubes to.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by denver on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:26 pm

The filter caps has polarity ,do not know if you know this or not. I would replace all caps before trying it again.
denver
denver

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick666 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:52 pm

I would also replace the resistor.I've had a few that have been smoked and even if the value is still the same the resistor will still over heat even after the other problems have been repaired.

Nick
Nick666
Nick666

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I do know about the polarity on the filters. I double checked them to make sure I had them right. I did go ahead and replace the rest of the paper caps and that took care of the short. First time I've had a shorted cap. I usually replace the filters first and try to get reception and then replace the rest a couple at a time. So now the big dogbone resistor just barely gets warm. I'm getting static at different levels up and down the dial but no reception. As soon as I get a resistor that size I will replace it and start checking further.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum