Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narrow banding

Go down

Narrow banding Empty Narrow banding

Post by Motorola man on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm just curious, are the ham / amatuer radio frequencies subject to the same FCC narrow banding requirements as the commercial bands? I haven't read the full law, since I only deal with commercial 2-way and reading though thousands of pages of government documents is not my idea of a good time.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Narrow banding Empty Re: Narrow banding

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Voice - narrow band
Angular modulation is used in narrow band voice applications in Amateur radio. Different configurations are used on HF, and VHF/UHF.

VHF/UHF application is usually FM with a 6dB/octave pre-emphasis over the whole voice band (in effect PM) with a peak deviation of 5kHz. Carson's rule estimates the bandwidth for a 3kHz voice band at 2*(3+5) or 16kHz. This is commonly employed in a 25kHz channel spacing plan.

Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:34 pm

The hams dont have to change.All others under the law will aircraft,trains are but a few that go narrow band July 1 2010. Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for the replies, and thank you FCC for the extra job security. Lots of radio reprogramming and sales for us over the next 2.5 years, plus we're taking over the teritory of another shop that is closing down next week. Things are about to get busy!
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum