Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photo laminate

Go down

Photo laminate Empty Photo laminate

Post by Motorola man on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Does anyone know of a good way to remove photo laminate? I'm working on a '58 RCA Orthophonic, been using a fine grit sandpaper which works ok but I think I'm going to end up looking like Popeye when I'm done. Plus the paper is getting gummed up pretty quickly, so I'm using alot of it. I know that a more coarse grit will be much faster, but the first layer on the plywood is extremely thin and looks really nice. I don't want to risk sanding through it.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Photo laminate Empty photo lamenate

Post by denver on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:56 pm

THERE IS A POST AT www.philcophorum.com in cabinet restoration . Talking about this.
denver
denver

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Photo laminate Empty Re: Photo laminate

Post by denver on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

or go here www.philcoradio.com then go to forum
denver
denver

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Checked the post about photo finish removal, but it really didn't offer any advise.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Photo laminate Empty photo laminite

Post by denver on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Well photo laminate is a process like a vinyl rug it like a print on the wood or plastic .You cant take it off makes a mess.
Some of this new laminate flooring some call it floating try to sand on it ruin it . Only thing i can think to do get some stain &POLYURATHANE mix go over it .Pick a color you like . Thats what their discussing in philco phorum some way to make the prints their self. Really would have to be good to do this . Rolling Eyes
denver
denver

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:36 am

Someone has already done that (not very well), which is why I'm trying to remove it all and start over. The blonde photo laminate wasn't the prettiest thing to begin with, then someone stained it a ugly dark olive / brown color. I would rather take it down to the bare wood. Although it's not an exotic wood, to me it would look better than the laminate ever did.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Photo laminate Empty photo laman

Post by denver on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:15 am

Ok if your sure its wood . You can get some stripper i use stripeze get at lowes . Brush it on let stand till it bubbles good ,
then take a putty knife scrape it off might have to use some steel wool in tight spots . this will remove poly.
THEN I TAKE PAINT THINNER AND WASH IT OFF GOOD . Then all you have to sand is whats left of the stain .
I wuold remove chassi and any plastic knobs and make sure to use rubber gloves &eye saftey this stuff will burn your skin.
I have done alot of this just ask if have any problems. Oh make sure use it according to instructions Very Happy
denver
denver

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

I've got the the whole thing gutted and I've sanded most of the lid. It's plywood with a layer of photo laminate, coated with some sort of tinted poly or laquer. Just wasn't sure if a commercial stripper would cut through the laminate like I want it to. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum