Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~

Go down

New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Empty New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~

Post by Pred on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 pm

I will try and post pics with this post.
I found this Zenith AM-Shortwave radio this weekend but am unable to find a wiring diagram for it thus far.
It does pull in a few AM stations, And there is a very quiet hum, So it will not be plugged in any more.
We are ordering a bunch of Caps. for it this week and will try and rebuild it.
What is odd to me, And I am new to this, Is that it has casters on the bottom and appears to want the speaker to face the wall otherwise the dial in upside down.
We thought this is odd but what do we know?
Anyhow any info you may have on this Zenith is greatly appreciated! ! !
New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Z1-1
New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Z2-1
Here is the only label we can find in/on it
New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Z3
New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Z4
So far all we can guess it that it is post war and it works kind of and the lights work as well.
There are 3 ? Bands
Short wave
Broadcast
And Automatic
What is Automatic?
And once it is recapped,
Can we expect to get Shortwave to function with an antennae?
Thanks all
P&E

Pred

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Empty Re: New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Actually, I think it's pre war, but, could be wrong.
It's a chairside radio. The back of the unit is supposed to face the side of your easy chair so you can operate the set. The speaker is pointed into the room.
These sets are collectable.
There may be rubber wiring in this set as well that you may need to replace, and, you also need to replace the power supply electrolytics.
Automatic is the am electric push buttons to automatically get your favorite am stations.
This set should be in Nostalgia Air on the internet.
They have most of the radio schematics.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Empty Re: New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~

Post by VANT on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 pm

http://www.oldradios.com/reference/zenith.htm

I was unable to find your radio at Nostalgia Air however try the web site posted above. Judging from the looks of the tubes and the internal loop antenna I would put this Zenith around 1940. I have to admit I have never seen a chairside or a console for that matter with casters mounted on the bottom so this could have been added sometime later by a previous owner. As far as the sw band or bands is concerned I could not tell from the dial what sw bands it has but to answer your question... yes you should be able to pick up stations on the sw band with a decent long wire antenna. There should be an attachment at the rear of the chassis for an additional wire antenna. The amount of reciption will depend on the area you live in such as in a valley or in a large city. Keep in mind most sw bands recieve better at night depending on where you live. Also keep in mind that loop antennas such as the one in your Zenith are very directional so if you don't pick up very many stations in the am band or sw turn the radio in a different direction and you might improve the reception.
As Bill pointed out that hum problable means one thing and that is the electrolytics. Don't play it anymore till at least they have been replaced.
Hope this helps and enjoy your Zenith!
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:11 pm

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=3525

Well as soon as I posted my last response I came across your radio in "THE RADIO ATTIC" archives section. You might send John an e-mail to find out more about your model 6A05. He has a very good web site. Also it appears I might be wrong about the casters... it appears his 6A05 has them too!
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:51 pm

http://makearadio.com/beitmans/files/1940.djvu

I believe I found a schmatic for your Zenith 6A05. Just go to page 201 however it is in fact page 202 of the actual manual.
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Recap the set and somewhere is a fix to keep the 6X5from blowing out the power transformer.Zenith power transformers are not all that good.Nice set should work good once you are done.Sprman Cool

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:58 pm

You bring up a good point Sprman, it is a good idea to install an in rush current limiter in all of these old tube radios. It softens the shock to the filaments when the power is first turned on and there is a rush of 117 or so volts to the cold tubes, especially the rectifier.
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:59 pm

Yeah lost one myself once.Cant say i liked replacing transformer.Thats a odd way to put ant in the cabinet.Wonder how well the set works once recapped.Dont forget to check resistors too.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Empty Similar Zenith found and repaired yesterday

Post by Bkmcclarty on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Found a like model, but a different console yesterday. I was told it was dead, got it running in the store in a few minutes of tinkering. Beautiful set, but ravaged by time, wiring is all bare, nice antenna in New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ 038the back though. I tried several times to upload a picture of it, perhaps I'm doing it wrong.New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Moz-screenshot-1New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Moz-screenshot

Bkmcclarty

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-18

Back to top Go down

New to me Zenith 6AO5~ ??? Look ~~~ Empty 6A05

Post by denver on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:56 pm

6A05 IS CHASSI NUMBER MODEL NUMBER IS 6S546 IT IS AT WWW.NOSTALGIAAIR.ORG Very Happy
Denver. Cool
denver
denver

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum