Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics

2 posters

Go down

Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics Empty Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics

Post by ClevelandRick Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm

Recently picked up the hobby. All education from a great FB group and YouTube so long learning curve. Have 1957 Braun MM-4 that uses the Braun Super RC62 and Telefunken TT. Just about completed recapping but may have FUBAR when I broke off on of a RF coil with the super fine cooper wires. Problem is wires (4) came loose and I don’t know exactly where they reattach. I see 2 places were wires were connected but seem to be 4 wires. I’m far from clear how to read schematics. Coil is inside one of the IF cans. Would a schematic or photofact have connection info? Any kind and knowledgeable folks in Cleveland area I could connect with? Now I’m done telling of my woes so thanks for being here

ClevelandRick

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-07-21

Back to top Go down

Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics Empty Re: Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics

Post by AJ2X Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Welcome to the hobby!  Lots to learn and enjoy.  Schematic-reading is extraordinarily valuable if you plan to troubleshoot and restore any electronics.  Be aware that schematic-drawing conventions differ somewhat among US, German, English, French, Spanish, Russian (etc.) makers, and also have evolved over the last 100+ years of radio.  While schematics show you the electrical connectivity of a circuit (the "topography"), the physical connections may present themselves differently. Wiring diagrams, by contrast, depict how a circuit is physically built but can obscure the connectivity.  Both are useful, though wiring diagrams are much less common for commercially built equipment, particularly after about 1930 (in the US anyway).

For particular help with non-US radios, you might also want to try the Antique Radio forums, at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , since they have a number of overseas members or those who collect & restore foreign radios like the Braun and Telefunken.  They also have a page of local radio enthusiast clubs, and another for resources like parts and service data.  Good luck!

AJ2X

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2018-09-11

ClevelandRick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics Empty Re: Rick in Cleveland, old in life new in vintage radio & electronics

Post by ClevelandRick Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Thank you.

ClevelandRick

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ2X Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:46 pm

BTW, I was born & grew up about 60 miles south of Cleveland (near Youngstown), and took several (unsuccessful) ham radio exams at the Cleveland FCC office, back in the 1960s. We rooted for the Indians (or whatever they're called nowadays) during the lean years, occasionally in the old Lakefront Stadium. Dad didn't want to park downtown so we rode the interurban trolley to Terminal Tower and walked to the ball park.

AJ2X

ClevelandRick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ClevelandRick Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:05 pm

My wife is from Alliance where did you live and where are you now

ClevelandRick

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ2X Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:39 pm

I was born in Warren, and grew up in Canfield. I now live in Chapel Hill NC.

AJ2X

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum