Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atwater Kent model 33

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Atwater Kent model 33 - Page 2 Empty Re: Atwater Kent model 33

Post by acbaker123 Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 pm

OK great, thanks

acbaker123

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:52 pm

After a bit of research and help from my more knowledgeable brother, we made a power supply for my AK model 33 and it worked without a hitch. I would like to know what my sound quality standards should be though. it was pretty clear but there was still some noise. although I do not think it was the 6-volt. I also made a probe for the RCA.

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm

A battery radio from the 20's is noiseless... Even a regenerative model so long as the set is not into regeneration such that it is squealing.

You noises are most likely from two sources, the AC line via the power supply, the design of the power supply or component selection. The antenna, the ground.

A ddefect in the radio can cause;

A whistling noise, a growl, a putt-putt-putt, distortion, a cracking.

Each of these noises has a particular knid of defect associated with it.

Very often, (sorry) it is the user attempting to circumvent the installation and use of the radio as was intended, examples:

Using the home AC ground system at the electrical outlet, the ground "system" to long a lead wire to reach earth. The antenna too short, too long or directed near noise making devices. The power supply may have defective components or a poor connection...  chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:13 pm

it is probably the fact that I am using the ac "earth" as ground and my antenna being a random length and indoors. I do not have an easy way to get proper ground. from your description it does not seem like the radio has issues, if the bypass cap was leaky would it introduce noise?

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 pm

could you actually clarify what you mean by "noiseless" because am always has "noise" in the form of interference.

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 pm

acbaker123 wrote:could you actually clarify what you mean by "noiseless" because am always has "noise" in the form of interference.
Noiseless, from the radio only... Excluding, both man-made and natural noise, static...
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 am

would it be worth trying to touch up the brown paint on the front of the radio, I made the rookie mistake of not detaching the nameplate when I tried to polish it. i wasn't paying attention and burned through the 93-year-old paint a bit. i probably could take the panel completely off and repaint it but I am not confident in my ability. if I should even bother what would be the best product to touch it up with?

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:17 pm

It is a wrinkle finish of a shellac base. It wrinkled in production as it was blended with benzine which dried faster than the shellac and left the wrinkles... 
If you have skills blending artists acrylic paints possibly can touch it up and fake the wrinkles by using a closed cell foam pad and pull up on the wet paint...  chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:20 pm

I don't have that skill so it's probably best not to bother.

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:44 pm

acbaker123 wrote:I don't have that skill so it's probably best not to bother.
I did the same on an A-K 40, I wore through using a harsh cleaner trying to remove dirt that was actually a deliberate ageing colorant. The same set I used harsh cleaners on the Bakelite, thinking I am cleaning off nicotine. It was in fact the top phenol layer of the Bakelite that was attacked by the strong alkali detergent in 409... I had gotten the radio in 1963, there was no data on antique radio then even the 20's data that I could find did not have any how to's or preservation information. It was learn as you go. I kept the radio for 52 years when it, along with many other were given to a 501c3 museum.

Along the way I found an A-K 30 at what was then called a ReSale (second-hand store). I think it was $20 or so, the wood had been exposed to water and the chassis badly rusted. I did not have brown wrinkle so it got black wrinkle. I re-finished in ebony and cabinet rubbing varnish. I came out very well. I never bothered to operate it. At the time I had lead batteries and Majestic B eliminators but it was a bother to hook them up, it has been on the shelf ever since. I also gave the museum all the other metal cabinet A-K's except the 35. The only other A-K is an 89 Cathedral. I found I have no love for tin box radios of the 20's, only one I have kept is a Frost-Minton, because it is so obscure...  chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 am

Well, thank you anyway. that will probably wrap it up for my AK-33. now I have a Heath 10-14 scope that I will be posting about. it has a short somewhere that I am trying to track down without much luck. if you have a response I will have a new post for it. thanks again for all your help.

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:11 pm

acbaker123 wrote:Well, thank you anyway. that will probably wrap it up for my AK-33. now I have a Heath 10-14 scope that I will be posting about. it has a short somewhere that I am trying to track down without much luck. if you have a response I will have a new post for it. thanks again for all your help.
I Googled for an image of the scope...  I see it is an analog, possibly vacuum tube scope. As a kit possible mis-wires and sloppy craftsmanship.

I really do not want to "ding" this board I like the peace and quiet, but the trade-off is one does not have many minds put to the problem.

I could help with the scope but if it has specific 10-14 issues I would not know..

You might give the Antique Radio Forum a try, introduce yourself and don't be shy your looking for more diverse "interaction"

https://antiqueradios.com/

Consider reviving the A-K 33 with cosmetic questions, someone may know of an aerosol spray paint that is a close match for your radio. The Classifieds are very active and have some unique rules to keep it under control.  Send me a PM from their system if you join with a different user name than here.

Again, I apologize at giving this board a miss, but there just is not the traffic to get the wide variety of opinion on such a diverse subject as radio in general.

I still click on the icon twice a day to see whats up, but...  chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:05 pm

when i try to register it says that my email is already in use? I never tried to register there before.

acbaker123

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 pm

acbaker123 wrote:when i try to register it says that my email is already in use? I never tried to register there before.
Send an email to Alan Voorhees, he is the owner/administrator.  He will find out why and correct the issue..If you have an alternate account that can be forwarded to your main account you can do that.

I had an issue with Walgreens drug. They had "bastardized" my account. With automatic billing, and auto drug refills for some reason I could not correct it and I did not want to deal with some administrative person on the phone, nuts... So I closed the account but the registration or the email address remained so I could not initialize a new account with the same email address. I have a total of seven email addresses and only use two, the administrative address is never published. What I did is use another secondary email address and set it to forward all replies to the address in use Smile

Go to this page:

https://antiqueradios.com/contact.html

At the bottom is Alans email... Out of courtesy I will not post his email address.

If you cannot get to the page send a message via this board and I will forward Alans email...

I tried and can get to the page even if I am logged out...  chas
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: