Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automobile radio Vibrators

Go down

Automobile radio Vibrators Empty Automobile radio Vibrators

Post by Fid Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:48 pm

I've been repairing 1940s/50s era vacuum tube automobile radios for about 20 years now and there's something I've come across numerous times to which I have not been able to find an answer.
I've encountered two types of the typical looking vibrator in the 6 volt radios.
These vibrators have 4 pins on them, two are wider than the other two. Looking from the bottom with the wide pins on top, one type has the internal coil connected to the two wide pins. The other type has the coil connected to the right side wide pin and right side thin pin.
They do not interchange.
I've found no description or notes in any of the manuals or documentation I have. I've seen situations where people will send me a radio to repair and the only issue is it has the other type of vibrator in it.
Would someone be able to tell me why there are two different types and what the two types are used for?

Any info is much appreciated.
Thanks!

Fid

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-12-11

Back to top Go down

Automobile radio Vibrators Empty Re: Automobile radio Vibrators

Post by mr_ed01 Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 pm

According to the Mallory Radio Service Encyclopedia (1946),  Mallory made 8 - 6 volt Can 1 (4 pin, 1.5 X 3.25) vibrators which have 4 variations of basing diagrams.  Interrupter contacts connect to the 2 small pins, the reed connects to either pin 1 or 4.  The radio manufacturer list indicates the correct vibrator for the radio model number.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:10 am

There are far more than two types of vibrators - the 1945 Mallory vibrator replacement guide has 31 base diagrams.
Dale H. Cook
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Fid Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have run into more than 2 types but the 2 I mentioned are the most common ones I see. I appreciate the info. Thanks!

Fid

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jsweinrich Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:12 am

I use the Aurora Design solid state vibrator replacement. I grind down the vibrator rim, remove the base, gut the contents, wire the AD circuit board to the base pins with 14 AWG copper and then epoxy the cover back on. The AD vibrator is bullet proof and works with 12 or 6 volt. They make two versions, one positive ground and one negative ground.

Here is how: https://mseriesradio.blogspot.com/2017/01/vibrator.html

John

jsweinrich

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mihail-1 Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:41 am

Jsweinrich thanks for the interesting advice.
My job to restore a similar receiver. The work is not over yet.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb5J5bMLs7sEmp-HrZGboUgoQk2RiDLWX
Mihail-1
Mihail-1

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum