Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect?

Go down

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Empty Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect?

Post by OccamsShaver Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi-
I have an old Admiral 5R10N that belonged to a grandfather I never met. Anyhow, it has been sitting on a shelf as decoration for a long time. I am by no means an electronics expert but have done a lot of work on my own musical equipment (including some tube guitar amps) over the years. I am thinking that maybe this could be a good learning experience. I think that I actually removed the power cable some years ago. I opened up the radio today. I know that the hot lead connects to the potentiometer lug where the red electrical tape is. Where does the neutral lead connect?  
Is there anything in the pic that jumps out at you that I should address?

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Admira10
Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Admira11

Thanks for any input or feedback (puns intended).

OS

OccamsShaver

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2021-01-25

Back to top Go down

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Empty Re: Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect?

Post by mr_ed01 Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:48 pm

The hot side of the line cord goes to the switch (red tape) the neutral side of the line cord goes to the 35Z5 pin 2. (schematic, Rider Vol 22, Admiral page 15)

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Empty Re: Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect?

Post by OccamsShaver Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:14 am

Thank you!

OccamsShaver

Back to top Go down

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Empty Be careful!

Post by Tom L. Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:43 am

Be careful as it looks like they switch the neutral leg and not the hot leg according to the Admiral 5r10 schematic.

Anyway, the leg that goes to the 35Z5 connects to both pin 2 and pin 5.

Tom
Moline, IL.

Tom L.

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by OccamsShaver Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:54 am

Thank you, Tom. So after the previous post, I did connect the hot leg to pin 2 of 35Z5. When I turned the radio on, I just heard loud hum. And then I remembered that's what I heard when I plugged that radio in a number of years ago. Is that a common sign of bad filter caps?

OS

OccamsShaver

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Bad filter caps, the 3 paper caps shown in the pictures should be replaced too. Mica and ceramic caps are usually OK.
Replace the filter cap with 2 single units, 47 & 33uf @ 160 to 250 volts

mr_ed01

Back to top Go down

Admiral 5R10N tube radio - where does neutral lead from mains connect? Empty Safety Capacitor

Post by Radiola214 Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:32 pm

C9 should be replaced with a X Safety capacitor https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/safety-capacitor-class-x-and-class-y-capacitors/
C12 should be a Y safety capacitor
And you should use an isolation transformer when working on a "hot chassis"

Radiola214

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by OccamsShaver Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:36 pm

mr_ed01 wrote:Bad filter caps, the 3 paper caps shown in the pictures should be replaced too.  Mica and ceramic caps are usually OK.
Replace the filter cap with 2 single units, 47 & 33uf @ 160 to 250 volts

What is the reason for replacing the filter cap with two units, and do those get connected in series?
Thanks

OccamsShaver

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:34 am

Single capacitors can be easily and inexpensively found. The dual unit if found will be more expensive.  The negative ends of the caps are joined together and connect where the black lead of the old cap goes, the positive end of the singles connect where the red and yellow leads go.

mr_ed01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum