Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio

Go down

Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio Empty Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio

Post by jamesstack on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:02 pm

I'm in need of support to find a model identification on a 1941 Zenith Wave Radio. I acquired this maybe 4 or 5 years ago at a yard sale. Its cosmetically in near perfect conditions far as the cabinet goes. I've never been able to power it up as the original power cord is rotted and has to be replaced. I'd like to pull the chassis soon an get to work on it, but don't wish to mess it up doing so. This radio has a circular dial divided into north and south hemispheres. I assume this pulls out with the chassis. There is a two or three level coaxial control below it for tuning and off-on/volume. Can anyone tell me how this comes out (as one unit or one item at a time)? On both sides of the tuning dial there are 12 push buttons (two arrays of 6 each), further subdivided into 3 upper and 3 lower. Do these just pull off to remove? I know these are simple questions but I can be a klutz at times so I'd like to have some detailed information in hand.

For the past 3-4 years I 've been inactive here; just reactivating my membership last night When I first joined, I was in contact with a member who said I'd need the chassis number before I'd be able to get the schematic, He was to send me a schematic but I think he misplaced my l address as I never got it and ASFAIK, no-one else tried to contact me either. I posted a new intro last night so if anyone wants to read it, it's on that forum.

Now getting back to the issues at hand. The only number I can see on the back of the chassis is the Made in the USA by Zenith id plate, followed by what must be the serial number (A196612). Where is the chassis number for this radio? I have a 1946 edition of the 1598 page NRI Service manual I picked up at an estate sale a couple of weeks back thinking my schematic would be in there. It probably is, but everything is listed by Ryder identification number so without a chassis number, the book is useless to me.

Hoping to hear from someone who's is familiar with what I have here. Best wishes to all and the moderator too, who appears to be a good one. -js

jamesstack

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-10-11

Back to top Go down

Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio Empty Re: Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio

Post by Chas on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:21 pm

This site:

http://www.oldradios.com/reference/zenith.htm

Also, look underneath on the bottom side of the chassis shelf for a label. Also at the rear apron, the wooden perimeter that goes all around the rear edge of the cabinet, on the top, play a led light at an angle and look for a printed model number beginning with "10-?-???" in a faded silver ink on the same apron but the inner edge, look for an embossed stamping into the wood.

Al else fails Google (images) [Zentih 10-S ... and look at all the pictures.

To remove the chassis, disconnect and unplug the speaker. remove four chassis bolts, on each side of the button assemblies on the edge of those assemblies there should b a small pin, depress and pull forward to unlock. One the tone organ side turn the wire harness sideways and slip into cabinet. On the station selector side, the plate can stay in place but the buttons can be damaged if the plate is not removed, no wires just the plate. The buttons are on fragile phenolic strips with hollow brass riviets. The rivets are in different locations so if they are removed be sure they go back in the same locations... Set screws to remove the knobs, if no screw it is friction fit slide all knobs off. The may be gum rubber chassis mounts. These often melt and collapse. Carefully pry with a long thin tool to break rubber free... If rubber, has sagged chassis will be low in the dial window. Replace the rubber or shim some how. If it is the spring suspension it is a matter of how tight the bolts are to adjust chassis height. The chassis should then slide out... Some versions have rubber covered wire to the tone organ. Most of the colors, the rubber dries out and flakes off. Replace color for color with new PVC wire so the system does not short...

GL

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio Empty Re: Looking for Basic information to ID my Ten Tube Console Radio

Post by Dale H. Cook on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:45 pm

If it is a 10-tube 1941 console it is a 10-X-5xx where "X" is a letter and "xx" are two additional digits. Does it have shortwave? Does it have a record player?
Dale H. Cook
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum