Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello all

Go down

Hello all Empty Hello all

Post by HarleyinSC on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

Hello everyone!

Just joined this forum.
I recently received a Zenith 8S463 radio from a friend and am considering trying to get it working.

Looks like everything is there except for a missing knob, however all the wiring has been cut out of it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is this something worth trying to repair/restore?

HarleyinSC

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-09-14

jamesstack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hello all Empty Re: Hello all

Post by Tony V on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:51 pm

Welcome to TRF! Depending on your skill level will determine if this is possible. These are nice performing radio's after being gone through. If you can read a schematic then replacing the wiring is possible so yes its worth restoring.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:22 pm

One caveat is that on some radios the dress of the wiring is crucial for proper operation of some circuits. It would be good if you can get some photos of the underside of a complete original chassis (chassis 5808, used in at least a couple of other models) so you can replicate the lead dress.
Dale H. Cook
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Spivey on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:17 pm

Welcome to TRF! I am not familiar with that particular unit but when you say the wiring has been cut out of it, then I would as has already been suggested that some pics be posted so we can get some idea of what we are really talking about. It could be something reasonable simple or you may end up with a parts set.

Spivey

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Hello all Empty We have the same identical Radio

Post by jamesstack on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:34 pm

just a few days ago I posted my first questions to this forum regarding this radio. I had all my questions answered by a forum member.  They were quite elementary and I intend to see if the radio works. I'll  be pulling the chassis and replacing the power cord as its rotted out. I got it about 4 yrs go at a yard sale. Its a 1941 model called a Wave radio because of the boxed antenna locate under the shelf. It was the first year for this feature and I don't know if Zenith continued with later years or not. It got 10 tubes and  repairs are feasible if you have a tube tester and other test equipment.  Much of this equipments used back in the day is still available at good prices, as it too is considered vintage.  I'm a little behind with things right now but I can send you photos of mine as well as a schematic down the road if you need it. I found this schematic in the NRI 1946  service manual of over 1600 sketches and due to the size and binder type will have to photograph the two pages for you.  Hang onto yours in any event as I have yet to see what parts, if any, I need to replace on mine. -js

jamesstack

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2020-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum