Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NX-26 tube

Go down

NX-26 tube  Empty NX-26 tube

Post by phonium on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:27 am

I am replacing the tubes in my Atwater Kent 40 and need another type 26. I found a National Union NX-26, but on radiomuseum.org it doesn't show up in my search. Is this tube a type 26?
P.S. Most of the tubes in it are dead, just wanted them for looks
phonium
phonium

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-10-04

Back to top Go down

NX-26 tube  Empty Re: NX-26 tube

Post by Chas on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:57 am

Yes the NX-26 is a 26. For the early tubes dropping the first number leaving the last two numbers is the newer style of that tube.

The 26 has filament 1.5V and at 1.05A. That means if it is tested the tester has to provide the proper current and voltage. Some testes will not achieve this with out re-adjusting the line voltage.  My experience with the 26 is that it should be burned for a half an hour before determining it is bad. They seem to get "sleepy" after 80 years resting...

This tube as many of the 20's era tubes initially came in the "S" bulb also called balloon or globe tubes. The later version is the "ST" shouldered envelope. As a rule the ST version are better tubes because of the support of the mica at the top of the structure in contact with the envelope. Other improvements are gettr, and filament coatings...

"S" tubes can be damaged if not broken by shock, where the internal element will get bent from the shock. These can be fixed but care must be taken.

Also the pin solder joints will fail from tin inter-granular corrosion. The will have to be re-soldered. So do not toss a tube unless it is broken or filament bits are lying in the bottom. More, some radio have to be neutralized so a dummy tube that has a filament pin cut off must be used, so a tube with very low or no emission must be used with a filament pin cut.

See this web site about preserving tubes:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/References/Articles/TheFlash/Flash08.htm

Sorry the 26 tube does not rejuvenate but the pin information is valid...

Not an easy task to find old tubes as it was when I was 13, this stuff was trash yet folks hated to throw the stuff away. So, I got loads of stuff as a "kid". All the same places I haunted you will have to to find old parts

Congrats making the rescues. Fortunately the A-K's use rather popular tubes... Both the radios are a bit of a chore to restore that you could do but some $$ has to be spent for parts. Do not try to operate them as is as the transformers will fail in a matter of minutes, then it will cost too much to repair... Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by phonium on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:03 pm

As I said, I just wanted to put correct tubes in the radio. I do not plan on making the radio work, just want it to look like it could work.
Thanks for the information though!
phonium
phonium

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum