Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zenith phonograph console problems

Go down

Zenith phonograph console problems Empty Zenith phonograph console problems

Post by acbaker123 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 am

I have a zenith phonograph console that i am trying to get working,(it has a large 7B30 chassis in the bottom and a smaller one where the knobs are at the top). while i gave done that it still has in my mind some issues. i replaced all the wax capacitors in the upper chassis with new film ones of the same spec, and a couple of old electrolytic with new counterparts. on the main chassis i didn't do much but replace the resistors attached to the center cathode (i think) on the 6bq5 because they were different and they upset the balance.on this console it requires me to fut a voltmeter on a couple of terminals and adjust for zero volts on both channels, i tried this but could not get down to zero. the main problem i am having is that i can feel voltage on the phonograph and the metal knobs on the front of the unit. i can also hear the loud pop of an arc when i turn the switch off on the phonograph. does anyone have any ideas? i am pretty new to tube stuff but i do sort of know my way around. i attached a couple of photos but i can take more

acbaker123

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

Zenith phonograph console problems Empty Re: Zenith phonograph console problems

Post by Tony V on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:53 pm

Is this a set with a power transformer or one without? If it is one without a transformer, it is considered a "hot" chassis and will have a safety capacitor going from one leg of the ac line to ground. If this capacitor is missing or defective, the unit can introduce ac to the metal parts as you describe. On some units, you can reverse the plug at the wall and stop the ac from coming through but that safety capacitor is likely the culprit and should be checked.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by acbaker123 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:31 pm

it has a transformer and i know which capacitor you are talking about, i put a polarized line cord on it and i will look into the cap, thanks

acbaker123

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2020-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:43 pm

You need to replace all the wax and, electrolytics in lower amplifier, and, power supply chassis.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum