Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm new from the Northwest

Go down

I'm new from the Northwest Empty I'm new from the Northwest

Post by audioengr on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:14 pm

I have been interested in antique radios for many years, but have focused on Gramophones lately.  With the Gramophone I can buy 78's on ebay and listen to the old music from the 20's-40's.  Not my era, but I really like these tunes.

I am a EE with 44 years design experience, mostly in digital.  I semi-retired at 50 and have been doing stereo equipment design ever since.  I have done minimal tube design (one transmitter in college), but I have some nice NOS tubes in my audio system.  I have modified those amps to improve the SQ (sound quality).

The problem with me pulling the trigger on a nice antique radio has been the programming that I can pick up from the airwaves.  I can of course use my computer to drive an AM transmitter to get the music and programming I want to hear, but this requires a lot of baby-sitting and it only gives me one channel to demonstrate to my friends and to enjoy myself.

This lead me to the idea of building a multi-channel transmitter with different programming on each channel.  Long playlists that will literally pay for a week or more before they repeat.  When Using Mp3 tracks with modern playback electronics, you can easily store 3K tracks for one channel.  I am building this black box now.  It is simple because it has a power inlet, a F-connector output and 2-5 USB ports for thumb-drives on it.  Each thumb-drive is for a different transmitter.  You power it on and there are instantly several channels to be tuned on the antique radio, each with different genres, like radio shows, historical news broadcasts and antique music.  I have a lot of content ready to go , I just need to gather the parts and build one to test it out.  The F-connector will have a 75 ohm coax cable like RG-59 and then a 75 to 300 ohm balun to the radio's antenna input. so it's not really broadcasting. Only direct to the radio.  Once I have this working and proven, I will get myself a nice tabletop antique radio.

I am also considering donating a couple of these to the various antique radio museums.

Last edited by audioengr on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
audioengr
audioengr

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-01-11

Back to top Go down

I'm new from the Northwest Empty Re: I'm new from the Northwest

Post by Tony V on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:39 pm

Sounds like a great idea and i know there would lots of interest in your project. I cant wait to hear more! Welcome to TRF!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm

Very interesting project
Thank you very much.
Bill Cahill   and, Welcome to TRF...

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Welcome to TRF

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Thu May 07, 2020 1:17 am

Hello audioengr,
welcome I also love old receivers and amplifiers
later this year I am going to build a amp using 6v6 in pushpull arrangement

RadioRich

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 am

Hello audioengr
welcome aboard nice to hear you have some great ideas and yes I live in easterner Washington and my little town has one am station but at night I pick up stuff from Canada

RadioRich

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum