Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets

Go down

Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets Empty Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets

Post by PhartStorm on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Hello!

I'm restoring an early 60's tube Radio/Phonograph that is in a fabric/vinyl covered wooden case. The case has several dings where small chunks of the covering has been removed exposing the wood underneath. Does anyone have advice on how to repair these defects? I can get some of the covering to make repairs from the excess inside the case. If I was interested in re-covering the entire unit, is there anyplace I could obtain new covering material?

I would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks.

PhartStorm

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-10-28

Back to top Go down

Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets Empty Re: Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets

Post by jukeboxman on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 pm

Hello -the original stuff was book binding cloth--i have never been able to locate any--however tolex used to cover guitar amps is very close a little thicker----

https://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/tolex-in-dozens-of-patterns-s/1822.htm

https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Tolex-and-Tweed
I hope this helps  Gary

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets Empty Re: Looking for Tips on Repairing Fabric/Vinyl Covered Wooden Cabinets

Post by PhartStorm on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:04 am

Gary,

Thank you! I was wondering where that covering came from. I will check out the links you provided.

PhartStorm

Back to top Go down

Post by PhartStorm on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:22 am

Gary,

I did a web search based on the info you provided and found source! It's not cheap, but you can check it out here: www covermaterialdirect com (I'm restricted from posting an external link for 7 days because I am new) It really helps to know what you are looking for.

Thanks again!

PhartStorm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum