Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues

Go down

GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues Empty GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues

Post by bjlasota on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 am

Good morning,

I inherited an older GE transistor radio that I'd like to listen to Cubs games on. I can get most FM stations in my area, however, on any given day, I cannot get any AM stations. Is there something I should begin looking for to point out repair needs or a cheap way to boost the AM signal? I'm very handy when it comes to mechanical issues, and somewhat handy with electrical ones. Just wondering where to start. The specific model is a General Electric 7-25826.

bjlasota

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-10-02

Back to top Go down

GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues Empty Re: GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues

Post by Chas on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:42 am

Cheapest and easiest way to boost an AM signal is with a table-top loop antenna. This is a passive loop of wire coil with a tuning device in a secure somewhat robust housing. The radio is placed near to the loop and the control moved until the desired station is received. The loop can be turned to further enhance the signal.

Search online all perform about the same, cost will vary considerably. The loop never wears out, unless it is tinkered with, will last forever.

YMMV

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues Empty Re: GE Transistor Radio Repair/Signal Issues

Post by bjlasota on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 am

For the leads that come off the antenna, where do you place those? Being a handheld radio, there's no input/output locations for wires.

Chas wrote:Cheapest and easiest way to boost an AM signal is with a table-top loop antenna. This is a passive loop of wire coil with a tuning device in a secure somewhat robust housing. The radio is placed near to the loop and the control moved until the desired station is received. The loop can be turned to further enhance the signal.

Search online all perform about the same, cost will vary considerably. The loop never wears out, unless it is tinkered with, will last forever.

YMMV

Chas

bjlasota

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:05 pm

bjlasota wrote:For the leads that come off the antenna, where do you place those? Being a handheld radio, there's no input/output locations for wires.
Chas wrote:Cheapest and easiest way to boost an AM signal is with a table-top loop antenna. This is a passive loop of wire coil with a tuning device in a secure somewhat robust housing. The radio is placed near to the loop and the control moved until the desired station is received. The loop can be turned to further enhance the signal.
YMMV
Chas
Ha, ha,
You don't, the enhanced RF field is magnetically y coupled to the pocket portable radios built in loop, no wires. It forms an RF transformer. In fact positioning the radio differently will help to diminish offending stations and enhance desired ones.
It is an old radio concept but it is still very much usable.
Some loops have connections, these do not have to be used with a radio that has an internal loop, even if the radio has antenna connections.

Post what you find on the web and we will review it to be sure it will work as intended.

GL

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Select-A-Tenna is one of the brands of the table top passive antenna's that Chas is speaking of. They work quite well. Just do a google search and you should come up with several examples. Good luck!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum