Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rack mount equipment

Go down

Rack mount equipment Empty Rack mount equipment

Post by ka3qlf on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Made another trip to the storage facility today, added some more items to the inventory list. There are a few rack mount items, and as I am searching for estimated values, previous sales numbers, etc I noticed one of the items can be either rack mount or come with a chassis. Does Rack mount have more appeal, less appeal, or about the same??

Thanks
Scott

ka3qlf

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-20

Back to top Go down

Rack mount equipment Empty Re: Rack mount equipment

Post by CaptainClock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Like what are you talking about in terms of rack mount equipment? Stereo receivers, amplifiers, tape decks or what? Because it all depends on what kind of equipment we are talking about because some rack mount equipment can be very desirable (especially early stuff) but then theres stuff that's more desirable as standalone equipment that isn't rack mounted.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 pm

I had a rack mounted cabinet I tried to give away, about 5 feet tall. When I set up another workbench for my house I needed something to set my scope and other items on. I remembered the rack and it fit perfect. So I made a few shelves for it to hold stuff and its in my workshop area.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ka3qlf on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 pm

This rack has some ham gear, a hammarlund SP-210X, with RA-84A power supply, a LPB-s2 audio compressor/limiter, and a national NC303 receiver. The SP-210X shows both rack mount and chassis/desktop versions, as does the national NC303. Thanks!!

Last edited by ka3qlf on Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add the national nc303)

ka3qlf

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Hmm, HAM Gear isn't nearly as desireable as it was 20 years ago since the advent of DTV and what not and the FCC's Dirty Grubby reallocation of all of the old TV and Amateur and Emergency Signals to the old TV Broadcast Spectrum, so what you have is basically boatanchors in the literal sense as it is practically useless now.

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 pm

ka3qlf wrote:This rack has some ham gear, a Hammarlund SP-210X, with RA-84A power supply, a LPB-s2 audio compressor/limiter, and a National NC303 receiver. The SP-210X shows both rack mount and chassis/desktop versions, as does the national NC303. Thanks!!
Rack mount boatanchor equipment has a very big following amongst many Hams and SWL's. Premier still makes individual rack cabinets to house gear when removed from a 4' or 6' rack.

Support for the brands, buy/sell can be found online or at: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15

I am a big fan of rack gear and have a triple 6' rack, and a single 6' with three sp-600's, National RAS-4, Hallicrafters S-37, Dumont 5" scope, ST-6 RTTY demod, P.S. from project Lincoln. RTTY phase shift oscillator rack modified Globe Scout, Millen 3" scope Hp 5" scope, homebrew RTTY polar relay interface, Electroproducts scope two channel adapter (old school vacuum tube). Planned are the CV-89 pair and the mating diversity combiner. Most of the gear supports my Ham activities using RTTY but station is also AM too.

The rack is powered via Wiremold power strips that are energized via a Start/Stop relay. Rack has 240/120 AC via 10 ga. cord to twist lock wall outlets. I find the advantage of the rack is having equipment stacked, least used on the very bottom and top. Rack is power ventilated and has front panel lighting. I used to have a work surface but decided to remove it so I could have some working room and use a portable work surface.

Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Chas wrote:
ka3qlf wrote:This rack has some ham gear, a Hammarlund SP-210X, with RA-84A power supply, a LPB-s2 audio compressor/limiter, and a National NC303 receiver. The SP-210X shows both rack mount and chassis/desktop versions, as does the national NC303. Thanks!!
Rack mount boatanchor equipment has a very big following amongst many Hams and SWL's. Premier still makes individual rack cabinets to house gear when removed from a 4' or 6' rack.

Support for the brands, buy/sell can be found online or at: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15

I am a big fan of rack gear and have a triple 6' rack, and a single 6' with three sp-600's, National RAS-4, Hallicrafters S-37, Dumont 5" scope, ST-6 RTTY demod, P.S. from project Lincoln. RTTY phase shift oscillator rack modified Globe Scout, Millen 3" scope Hp 5" scope, homebrew RTTY polar relay interface, Electroproducts scope two channel adapter (old school vacuum tube). Planned are the CV-89 pair and the mating diversity combiner. Most of the gear supports my Ham activities using RTTY but station is also AM too.

The rack is powered via Wiremold power strips that are energized via a Start/Stop relay. Rack has 240/120 AC via 10 ga. cord to twist lock wall outlets. I find the advantage of the rack is having equipment stacked, least used on the very bottom and top. Rack is power ventilated and has front panel lighting. I used to have a work surface but decided to remove it so I could have some working room and use a portable work surface.

There might be a "following" for this stuff but most old ham radio receivers and transceivers are basically useless now ever since the FCC did away with the old Ham and CB Radio frequencies when they did the DTV Transistion that also involved reallocating the old Ham, CB and Emergency frequencies into the old Broadcast TV Frequencies (which was just a way for the government to push its Planned Obsolescence plan further on us) which is BS because the government was being all high and mighty about trying to save the planet from the supposed global warming (which is also a hoax) but yet their pushing planned obsolescence which is only making the enviroment worse because all of the old obsolete appliances and electronics just get chucked into the land fill which further ruins the enviroment.
So hows that for our supposedly "enviromentally friendly" government?

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:41 am

Hi Scott,

Amateur radio bands are the same as they were since the mid-20's in fact they have expanded into long wave in recent years.

Here is the most recent allocations as of six days ago in a huge 177 page text pdf...

https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf

Here is a "wall" chart of the current allocation spectrum from 3khz to 300ghz.

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/2003-allochrt.pdf

If you have access to "D" or "E" size printer the details will be represented.

Scott, as a ham, your stored equipment still has value to interested hams and, swl listeners, collectors and museums. It is not scrap even if it has serious cosmetic flaws, the parts have significant value. If you have a list prepared of any surplus equipment I would welcome a copy via email through the private message system on this board.

I might further add, there may be a antique radio club or museum near you that will have periodic equipment auctions and swaps. Since my collection has matured, I took advantage of a museum donation several years back.

GL Scott,

Chas

Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Really? I'm surprised the FCC didn't muck around with the CB and Ham frequencies because supposedly that's what their plan was when they did the DTV Transistion was to relocate all of those frequencies into what used to be the Television broadcast spectrum, essentially rendering ALL old HAM and CB units useless, but they apparently must of changed their mind? Kind of like how they were thinking about doing away with the current AM and FM bands and "digitizing" those as well, essentially rendering any and all AM/FM Radios including car radios useless, but I guess they changed their minds on that as well.

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:54 pm

CaptainClock wrote:I'm surprised the FCC didn't muck around with the CB and Ham frequencies because supposedly that's what their plan was when they did the DTV Transistion ...
The television repack is still in progress and far from completion. After that if the Commission wants to move parts of other services there will have to be an NPRM and all that follows, which will take even more time.

Dale H. Cook, Broadcast Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html
Dale H. Cook
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: