Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work!

Go down

Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work! Empty Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work!

Post by cameronw on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 am

I recently bought a 1959 Olympic Radio Model Number 457 WH-Q-S off of ebay stating that the electrolytic caps were replaced. When it arrived it worked great for about 30 minutes then it stopped with no sound at all. I soon replaced the non electrolytic caps and nothing happened. I then replaced the tubes and still nothing. Tubes glow and everything looks okay but no sound at all. I tried to find the manual or anything but no luck. I am new and don't much so I am looking for advice to find out what the actual problem is.

cameronw

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-08-02

Back to top Go down

Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work! Empty Re: Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work!

Post by Dan Walker on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:36 pm

You don't know how long ago those electrolytic caps were replaced and if they are the right values.
Check the voltage on the plates of the tubes also.

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work! Empty Re: Help! I replaced the capacitors and tubes. Still doesn't work!

Post by cameronw on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 pm

I will definitely try this but how can I know the right values for the caps that the seller replaced?

cameronw

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:08 pm

You would probably have to find the schematics and see what
values they call for. Did you check the tubes to see if they are good?.

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by cameronw on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 pm

I believe all the tubes are fine because I have just replaced them all but I have tried and I cannot find the schematics to this radio. So I do not know how to know the correct values.

cameronw

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

Sounds like either the audio output transformer or one of the IF transformer's might have opened up. If you get no audio period with your ear to the speaker with the volume up, it is probably the audio output transformer or less likely the speaker. It's time to get your meter out and check for opens. Radio disconnected from power of course.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 751
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 pm

The service manual and schematics are in Sam's Photofact folder number 429-9.
Hope this helps.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by easyrider8 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:26 am

Have you checked your B+ voltage?

Dave
easyrider8
easyrider8

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum