Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting bakelite

Go down

Painting bakelite Empty Painting bakelite

Post by Ben Delk on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm

i know everyone has an opinion and I'd appreciate the input. I just spent 2 hours sanding old paint and and filling scratches and dings. I think I'm ready to paint but just the thought of missing a crucial step and starting over again makes me want to throw up. I have several questions:
1. I have filled holes and with bondo and sanded with 400 grit. Is that sufficient?
2. Assuming my sanding is good what's the best primer?
3. After painting I heard guys say they use brasso and rub to smooth out the dimples in the primer. Yes , no?
4. so I get a a good smooth primer finish ready for paint, whats your "go to" paint?
5. Spray can paint or mix and use paint gun(which I have)?
6.Now that I have a paint and applied a light coat, dry or wet sanding between coats ?
7.How many coat do you suggest and do you sand the last coat new apply a top coat?

Thanks, 
Ben
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Painting bakelite Empty Re: Painting bakelite

Post by John Bartley on Mon May 01, 2017 9:12 am

For the Bakelite sets I've done, I've sanded to about 220 grit. That always seemed fine enough to give a smooth surface and coarse enough to give some "tooth" for the next coats to cling to. The last thing I do before I prime is wipe the surface with either a tack rag or a clean, lint free rag dampened with reducer or thinner. I always prime with automotive primer. It's hard and sands out well for the finish coat. The choice of application and paint type has to do with the colour and style. If you're doing pastels you may find them in premixed "rattle cans" at the store. The last one I did was a hammer-tone and I bought hammer-tone silver base and tints which I sprayed thru' a small automotive siphon type gun.

Anyway, that's what I've done. There will be many methods and types of paint and equipment to prep and apply with. None are right or wrong. The right method is the one that works for you.

John Bartley

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 am

Sounds like a good plan, thanks
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Wed May 03, 2017 8:40 am

John Bartley wrote:For the Bakelite sets I've done, I've sanded to about 220 grit. That always seemed fine enough to give a smooth surface and coarse enough to give some "tooth" for the next coats to cling to.  The last thing I do before I prime is wipe the surface with either a tack rag or a clean, lint free rag dampened with reducer or thinner. I always prime with automotive primer. It's hard and sands out well for the finish coat. The choice of application and paint type has to do with the colour and style. If you're doing pastels you may find them in premixed "rattle cans" at the store. The last one I did was a hammer-tone and I bought hammer-tone silver base and tints which I sprayed thru' a small automotive siphon type gun.

Anyway, that's what I've done. There will be many methods and types of paint and equipment to prep and apply with. None are right or wrong. The right method is the one that works for you.
John, do you clear coat after painting bakelite?
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 am

Ben Delk wrote:
John, do you clear coat after painting bakelite?

No I don't Ben.  After the paint has cured for a couple of weeks, if it looks too glossy/plasticy I wash the cabinet with soap and water and a soft rag, then buff it out by hand. Otherwise I leave it alone.  I've only done a few (maybe 10 or 12), but I've never clearcoated anything except wood cabinets and they were a lacquer finish over toned wood.

Just a note ... this is just how I've done them, but I'm no expert and I'm certainly not a painter ....I fix chainsaws for a living. Maybe do an old scrap cabinet for practice and to develop a technique that works for you?

It would be nice if someone with more experience would chime in with an opinion.

cheers

John Bartley

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum