Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GE Wildcat problems

Go down

GE Wildcat problems Empty GE Wildcat problems

Post by PhonoBrit on Tue May 10, 2016 4:35 pm

Recently relubed and cleaned a GE Wildcat, worked great for a week. Tried it today and now it only wants to play in the 7" position regardless of how i set the size of record switch. Any ideas?

Thanks!

PhonoBrit

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

GE Wildcat problems Empty Re: GE Wildcat problems

Post by Tony V on Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 pm

I might be able to help but first i need to know what vintage your Wildcat is. If its the late 60's version with the twist knob for record size around the stabilizer arm, check and see if the tab broke off of the button. This requires you to take off the stabilizer arm, tone arm and top cover surrounding them. This will also allow you to check the bar that the size button rides on for free movement. If this is not the changer you have and is one of the newer versions, let me know and we'll take it from there.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit on Thu May 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Tony V wrote:I might be able to help but first i need to know what vintage your Wildcat is. If its the late 60's version with the twist knob for record size around the stabilizer arm, check and see if the tab broke off of the button. This requires you to take off the stabilizer arm, tone arm and top cover surrounding them. This will also allow you to check the bar that the size button rides on for free movement. If this is not the changer you have and is one of the newer versions, let me know and we'll take it from there.
Yes, it has the circular switch around the stabilizer arm. Is this fixable?

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu May 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Yes, it is but you have to take off the stabilizer arm, tonearm and the cover to check it and it's linkage. It sounds like a pain but its not too bad to do once you dig into it.
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit on Fri May 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Stabilizer arm is off but not sure how to remove the tonearm. Appreciate any tips.GE Wildcat problems X25RUKJ

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 pm

There's a hole in the left side of the tonearm at the rear. You will see a silver pin that goes through the plastic of the tonearm, through the black metal holder and out of the plastic of the tonearm on the right side. Insert a flat head screwdriver in the right side of the tonearm and gently push the pin as far as you can out the left side. You will then need a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull the pin out the rest of the way through the hole in the left side of the tonearm. Reverse everything to put the pin back in when your through.
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit on Sat May 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Ok, got that part done. What is my next step? Thanks for all the help!
GE Wildcat problems Cxn2J7z

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun May 15, 2016 12:30 am

Next step is to remove the tonearm wires from the cartridge and remove them from the tonearm. Looking from the front of the tonearm mount mechanism you will see another pin. It has a spring clip on it on the left (usually silver) that you compress with a flat head screwdriver. You then pull that pin out from the left side and the top of the tonearm mechanism will come off. After this is done you will be able to remove the plastic cover and inspect the size knob and linkage. The linkage should move freely and knob should be complete and not broken. Let me know what you find and take pictures if need be.
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by PhonoBrit on Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Looks like the plastic knob is broken, see pic to confirm. Sad Any ideas on a fix?
GE Wildcat problems ZQFcEIJ

PhonoBrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Tue May 17, 2016 6:05 pm

I was hoping this wasn't the case but i see that it is. You might be able to glue it back together with crazy glue or epoxy but the best way is to find a replacement knob.

Last edited by Tony V on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony V
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum