Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just obtained GE Lowboy K106

Go down

Just obtained GE Lowboy K106 Empty Just obtained GE Lowboy K106

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm

I just bought this radio for $35 and have carted it home. It looks nice but someone previously had refinished without sanding the top so missing bits are missing from the Vernier surface to a few nicks and scrapes on the finish. Brushed out the dust and noticed grid cap wires are brittle and falling apart. Some one has used aluminum paint to touch up minor rust and tubes appear to have been tested with markings on the bases. Screws (some)are missing from the Chassis. Dusted off the chassis with a small paint brush and cleaned up the tubes.

Now I am going to sit and stare at it, pondering what to do next. Neutral
Took a few tries using the photo hosting but here is the photo:
Just obtained GE Lowboy K106 Image14

Last edited by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Just obtained GE Lowboy K106 Empty Re: Just obtained GE Lowboy K106

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Sounds like a nice find... cyclops

Do yo have some pics... I'd love to see it... If we can figure out how to post them affraid

Robert
Oldsmobile Man
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:14 pm

I'll have to try doing it another way as I can't seem to from my computer directly. May have to post on some open web site.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm

There is an option that looks like a small pic when you go to post... I think you can just click on it and upload from your computer... Otherwise you'll have to upload to photo bucket and then insert it... Can you moderate yet? I am having some problems and I do not know if I have enabled you yet... Let me know,
Robert
Oldsmobile Man
Oldsmobile Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Email verifying as moderator recieved I will see how it works Wink
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:11 pm

WOW, That is a sharp radio! I look forward to seeing it when done! Is that a 6 tube lineup with police, bc, and sw, Right? I am drooling all over my keyboard... and what a bargain at 35$... stuff like that is hard to come by here,

All the best,
Robert
Oldsmobile Man
Oldsmobile Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:44 pm

Believe it or not it's a ten tube. It goes to 1500Kc then goes to about 2400 Kc on the second band. It also has a shadow tuning meter and a bass and treble control. They Identify one of the knobs as a noise silencer. The picture shown is for the K106P where as mine is the K106. The K106p Shows another knob above the tuning indicator which mine doesn't have.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:49 pm

I'll be back later, as my wife wants me to help setup some of her Sewing projects as shes disabled, Arrow and needs my assistance. bounce
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:Believe it or not it's a ten tube. It goes to 1500Kc then goes to about 2400 Kc on the second band. It also has a shadow tuning meter and a bass and treble control. They Identify one of the knobs as a noise silencer. The picture shown is for the K106P where as mine is the K106. The K106p Shows another knob above the tuning indicator which mine doesn't have.

wow... a 10 tuber? Sounds nice... does is play yet? I wish i had something with a tuning meter Laughing They sure are nice... I'll bet it will but out some nice tone when it's working,

Roobert
Oldsmobile Man
Oldsmobile Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 am

No.
At this point I am rather leery of plugging it in since it has insulation falling off the wires. First off, I am going to have to do some reading up on how to proceed. There was a book that was posted on ARF that I am going to read through first. I have some old cheap equipment that I have had for a couple of years and I also need to check it out along with this radio. I have a one Sig gen that does work though. Its a Jackson and also have a Jackson tube tester, I haven't tried it either.

I also have a Victor (RCA) and that works but the volume control isn't working like it should and the covers for the tubes and variable caps are missing.

When I was working in the shipyard at PSNS I had unlimited resources while working on everything, but alas, No since retired I don't have much to work with. I am downloading everything I find on the Web to add to my library at home.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:08 am

Hello Resistance is Futile
well I to have a Ge lowboy it's a model no S-132 that uses a RCA chassis no R-10 but someone cut legs off on mine it still needs restored I have friend that lives out in your neck of the woods that is a good wood turner he'll make me some new legs and spindles .
sincerely Radio Rich

RadioRich

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:50 am

I am having a difficult time setting up my hobby. The GE at least is now in my Bedroom / hobby shop. I now have a decent O'scope (Tektronix 453A)
I still need some probes, and I do have a Isolation Transformer, Variac, 2 soldering pencils and soldering Gun.

I have had a a lot on my plate lately, but now that the sun is setting early and the rain is now prevalent, I will have some home time to squander.

My first project will be to get my tube tester in shape. And I did purchase some Capacitors (very few though) and now to get some resistors.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:27 pm

That's a neat style. With those legs I sure wouldn't want to risk shipping. I didn't know anyone else besides Philco used shadow meters. There
are some cool vids on youtube showing them in action.

I bought some 1 watt resistor kits with the stacking drawers with 20 compartments each. Be very afraid when you pick these up. If you tilt the
wrong way they coming pouring out. A whole lot of tedious sorting to come.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum