Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New toyz............ Photos on the way.............

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New toyz............ Photos on the way............. Empty New toyz............ Photos on the way.............

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Well, I am rebuilding my junker Edison model B Gem cylinder phonograph. It's half done. Waiting for parts.
I also bought for a good price an Edison model E Standard needing lots of work.
I already picked up a good original N reproducer for it.
Ah. More toyz to work on.
I also now have a new variac......

Last edited by Bill Cahill on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

New toyz............ Photos on the way............. Empty Re: New toyz............ Photos on the way.............

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:23 am

One can never have too many new toys. Or old ones. Have fun, Bill...... Very Happy

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

New toyz............ Photos on the way............. Empty Re: New toyz............ Photos on the way.............

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks. I also bought for a good price a junker Edison Standard model E.
That's a four minuite machine. Needs a lot of work. Got it cheap....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:53 pm

I now have all the parts I need to finish rebuilding the Gem. It will play again.
Slowly working on the E standard breaking up the frozen mandrel bearing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Great to see you back at it!
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Today, a new bronze bearing arrived for the standard E. I have a bid on a carriage. I bought a crank. Still trying to break out the old pot metal bearing for the mandrel.......

I need to make new drive belts for both the Gem, and, the standard.
It's a shame. There is a junker Wm. and, Mary that has a complete cabinet. It's cheap enough, and, would replace my cabinet that somebody had hacked the legs off of. But, they will not ship.. It's in California....
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:12 am

Removing that frozen bearing on the E standard is proving difficult. New bearing came in. Got back on Gem. Oh, oh. The governor shaft is bent. Just as I was thinking of putting a belt on. Phooey. It's still got bugs I'm working on. I have an old repro crane for it from croaking frog, and, a screwed up Gem horn I have to re paint.
I already have the reproducer on it.
I have a ratty lid, and, a good original base, and, screws for it.
It will get finished. So will the standard.

I bought a brand new variac, so, when I'm caught up on this work, I'm back to electrical repairs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Well, I've finally got the bugs out of the Gem. I'm getting ready to make a belt. After that, I'll grab a temporary small horn, and, a cylinder, and, see how it plays. If well, I'll turn to working on the case, and, the Gem horn.
Also did some cleaning up in the shop.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:20 pm

It's nice to see!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:20 am

I haven't had time to take pictures, yet. My therapy, and, everything is taking a lot of time. Then, I'll need help on how to install pictures.
I was just getting used to the other way. I really do want to show them, and, other stuff off.
When finished, I'll have two nice additions to the collection. I still also have to repair my model D Home.
I think I've repaired my governor shaft on the Gem.
I'm getting ready to make a new belt for it, then, see how it plays.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:07 am

I now have won the very rare original horn for my Standard E on ebay with a minimum Bid. I'll have to repaint the outside, but, at least I have the correct horn. It's the only fancy horn Edison sold as factory equipment.
The horn is blue, with flowers painted inside. It was sold only with the model E standard. I'm excited.... Now, I need to get a few screws, and, a gear cover, and, make a drive belt after repairs are finished. When finished, both machines will be nice. Guys, when I am able to take pictruures, can somebody help me install them here??
In a bit, I'll give the ebay links so you can tell what I started with.
I won't have the horn right away. I got the o.k. to pay for it when I get my government checks.

But, it's a very hard to get horn. I feel very lucky to even have found one.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:46 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Standard-Morning-Glory-Horn-Blue-with-Yellow-and-White-Flowers-/252323776701?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=nf41P99IOd6tTQa01tHWt9tjy5A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDISON-STANDARD-MODEL-E-PHONOGRAPH-WITH-HIGH-SERIAL-NUMBER-800566-PROJECT-/201468436938?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=nf41P99IOd6tTQa01tHWt9tjy5A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2-SPEED-RECORD-PLAYER-PHONOGRAPH-w-RED-BAKELITE-ARM-KNOBS-WORKS-/111925293718?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=nf41P99IOd6tTQa01tHWt9tjy5A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-EDISON-GEM-FIRESIDE-PHONOGRAPH-19-HORN-RED-BLACK-HORN-/191789632178?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=nf41P99IOd6tTQa01tHWt9tjy5A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The electric phonograph I won is another toy I picked up.
I couldn't find all the listings, but, this gives you a good general Idea of what I got.Scroll down each page to see original listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141912111780?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Last edited by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:48 am

Oh. on the gem horn, and, the standard, those were not the actual prices I paid. I paid less.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:30 pm

The blue horn with flowers for standard arrived yesterday.
Outside needs total repainting, but, while not perfect, the inside isn't bad, and, flowers look beautiful.
Mandrel move half an inch in bearing, then, froze up, again. I'll keep working on it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Put us up some pics when you can.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 am

Bear with me, guys. I'm having personal physical problems, right now. I do have some good news. Last week I got Gem phonograph playing. It's not finished, but, it now plays. I also got frozen mandrel shaft out of Standard. I replaced bad bearing, and, made a belt. It plays, but, with problems. First, main spring is nearly frozen in the barrel. Next, reproducer needs new gaskets. Also, mandrel shaft is a little bent. Well, the good news is motor has very little wear, and, is almost whisper quiet.......

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 10, 2016 12:21 pm

If anyone wants to help install pictures here after I've done them, please email me.........

Latest n ews. I installed new feet on standard. I had to do considerable gluing after all. I also reglued bed plate shelf. Still have to glue parts of lid.
Crank was apparently original to this machine. Most of shaft of crank, and, escutcheon are mint. The rest of crank has about sixty percent of the plating left.
Haven't worked on motor, yet.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 12, 2016 10:11 am

On Standard, I did more case gluing, stained it, and, put two coats of shellac on it. I'll soon be installing signature decal, and, putting more shellac on. Shelf has one coat of shellac. Still stripping the lid. One piece of molding came off, and, I cleaned glue off both pieces. I am going to try to replace handle. Dammage was done to wood handle, and, it is very rusty.
Looks like dampness started there, ran across, down to shelf, an, on crank.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 12, 2016 10:13 am

At least I know it's improving. I ended up replacing bottom crane bracket. Old one was very rusty. Carriage rod still has most of its' nickel plating.
I'll get pictures as soon as I can.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 12, 2016 11:46 am

We're following it!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 20, 2016 7:22 am

Just found a serious problem on motor of Standard. The first gear off the bull gear has a broken tooth. Further, bearings for that gear are badly worn.
I just bought a doner replacement gear train for it.
Motor was making a clicking sound. That was what was causing it.
I'm back to my old complaint that later Standard motors aren't made as well.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat May 21, 2016 3:46 am

Found a gear train with my dealer friend, and, purchased it. Last night, while I was in bed, I won the good gear cover for it for my minimum bid. As agreed, I'll pay for it on the first of June.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 21, 2016 9:37 am

Looks like It's coming along nicely.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 23, 2016 9:11 am

Set backs. Standard has a broken tooth on first off bull gear. Have one coming.
Then, last night, while playing records on it, the main spring in my Gem went Bang! , and, broke.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 am

There's no real way to prevent a spring failure is there? Just use it til it fails?
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum