Beam-A-Scope ??

Go down

Beam-A-Scope ?? Empty Beam-A-Scope ??

Post by bill57 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:18 pm

Can anyone give me some info on how Beam-a-scope worked. I picked up a GE L-633 at a local antique show. The back was missing so the loop antennae is gone but there are two copper stripes connected to a metal grid in the top of the radio. Found a picture on net showing back with a tag about using Beam-a-scope instead of antennae. Haven't run across this before. Radio needs work before I fire it up so I can't try it for reception. So is Beam-A-scope exclusive to G.E. radios?

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Beam-A-Scope ?? Empty Re: Beam-A-Scope ??

Post by exray on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Beam-a-Scope was GEs equivalent to Zenith's WaveMagnet.

On the GE portable I had it was a loop that you could pull out of the cabinet and stick on the window with suction cups.

I think they used the name somewhat generically for many models of radios and hence, not all Beam-A-Scopes are the same.
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 pm

The rotatable loops in the later model consoles are usually model specific in design. They utilized different types of input circuitry built within the loop. Often the loop itself was shielded with a wire cage or foil. Sometimes an external antenna coupler is built in. Can be either extra turns on the main coil or a smaller inductor nested within the larger coil. If you want the full performance of the G-E try to find the correct Beam-A-Scope for that radio.

Best,

Chas
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TexMac on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:46 am

It was generic for any of various loop antennas they used. I have one that has two turns of what looks like #12 wire for the shortwave band. Chas is right. Unfortunately, the ones I am aware of, are part of the tuning circuit. You will have to find someone that has that model and can give you enough info to recreate the proper coils or find a donor set.

TexMac

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum