Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Won this Philco radio on ebay...........

Go down

Won this Philco radio on ebay........... Empty Won this Philco radio on ebay...........

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:05 am

Just won this toy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Philco-tube-radio-/191725321195

Last edited by Bill Cahill on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Won this Philco radio on ebay........... Empty Re: Won this Philco radio on ebay...........

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Hmmm..... That popular. Eh?? Well, today, it arrived safely. One tube is missing.
Tuner looks horrible in photos, but, it's mostly dirt.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Won this Philco radio on ebay........... Empty Re: Won this Philco radio on ebay...........

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Is that a "hippo?" I would not mind having one of those myself.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:12 pm

That's a hippo, all right. Nice price.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 am

Bill, the only "non wood" radio I have. I bought one that was restored by an ARF member, the only radio I have ever bought restored. One of the best performing radios I have and with a built in antenna. The others run off a couple feet of wire.
There something endearing in the looks of a Hippo. Enjoy it and it looks like you have a little work ahead.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:26 am

Here's the original listing. The radio arrived safely yesterday morning. There is some rust, but, the tuner is more dirty than rusty.
When I get to it, it will be a project. My chassis is nearly finished, and,  I believe rust free, so, when cabinet is restored, I'll put my other chassis in it....
I've heard that these radios actually play well, for what they are.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Philco-tube-radio-/191725321195?nma=true&si=nf41P99IOd6tTQa01tHWt9tjy5A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 pm

I picked one up a couple of years ago. It was in bad shape and probably better off as a parts radio. But I had to give it a try. I was able to get it to work but not the best performer. I think that had more to do with the actual radio I had to work with and not the model. If it was in better shape I probably would have spent the time to get it to play well. Mine was really rusty all over. I think the volume control was even seized.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Could be your mica caps. Also, if you didn't clean caps on top of I F transformers, and, adjustment caps on tuner, that would lower quality of reception a lot.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum