Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show

Go down

Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show Empty Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 am

I have been a fan of both Lawrence Welk and Eddy Peabody for almost 60 years. I got my introduction to Mr. Peabody on the Welk show. This is one of the most unusual clips of Lawrence Welk I have seen. The first clip is of Eddy Peabody playing "The Robert E. Lee" with Neil Levang and Buddy Merrill, both accomplished banjo players. He makes them look like rank amateurs. Keep playing the video to the second part, where Lawrence and Eddy play together. I had never seen Lawrence Welk play a banjo before or since. He was not too bad, either. This video is from 1962. Eddy Peabody would have been 60, Lawrence Welk would have been 59, with Buddy Merrill in his middle 20's and Neil Levang in his later 20's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78kKaAzLE-g

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show Empty Re: Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show

Post by willy3486 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:59 am

That was vunderfull, vunderfull. Seriously though those are some good clips. I wish they would put shows like that back on instead of this crap now. I have a Pete Fountain record I found recently. He was on the show and left due to disagreeing with Welk as the story goes. There is a large estate close to me that was rumored to have been wanted by Welk. He wanted to buy it and live there when he retired but the owner would not sale.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show Empty Re: Eddy Peabody on the Lawrence Welk show

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:09 am

Sadly, the talent does not exist for such a show today. Each of those performers are unique. How would you replace Eddy Peabody? He held that banjo like he was shucking corn. There is no network on the face of the planet who would broadcast the Lawrence Welk show if it were currently produced. It would have to be on the Internet.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 pm

That makes Youtube a valuable resource. It's good they saved such performances.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:15 pm

I had to also see what that piece of artillery he was playing on this soundie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJ_51z6Cxw
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:24 pm

I have no idea what that thing is. Eddy Peabody could probably have played a tune on the clothesline if he could hold it down. He was an amazing man when it came to a string instrument.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum