Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noise on Broadcast Band

Go down

Noise on Broadcast Band Empty Noise on Broadcast Band

Post by philconerd on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:48 pm

I have been busy recapping several old radios during this winter season. Lately when I started testing the radios I have been disappointed by all of the noise they seem to receive on the broadcast band. Mostly the noise seems to be a high pitched buzz, maybe at about 600 hz? I began to think each of my radios had a problem with the newly installed capacitors. The noise was so bad that it masked-over most radio stations.

Well, I spent many hours using my Radio Shack portable radio trying to track down any noise sources in our home. Yes the portable received the buzz sound too so I could walk around the house and point the antenna everyhere trying to isolate the source. I found that only one or two electrical circuits running through the basement carried the noise.

Yesterday, I found that source. The portable guided my to an outlet strip in the basement with 4 or 5 cords plugged into it. When I switched the outlet strip off, that 600 hz buzz stopped in the radio. So then I plugged in each cord one at a time and found the cause. Around Christmas time I had purchased a utility floor lamp on sale at Menards. This floor lamp uses a flourescent bulb and must have some sort of switcher power supply in it that is running all the time. I have to pull the plug to shut it down. Anyone ever heard of a similar noise problem to this one?

G.

philconerd

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Noise on Broadcast Band Empty Re: Noise on Broadcast Band

Post by Don Cavey on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:51 pm

Yes, many times unfortunately. Seems that those CFL bulbs are often the source of problems. I don't use much AM so I don't have much problem. I had to take the dimmer off of my daughter's ceiling light. It was playing havoc with stuff, not even AM...

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by philconerd on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Don-
Yes I have trouble with all of the normal CFLs in the house too. But this floor lamp was causing the buzz even with the switch "off". I don't understand how they made this one?
G.

philconerd

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 am

I once had one of those 'touch on' lamps and it was a terrible noisemaker. Fortunately it crapped out before I had to convince the wife that it needed to find the garbage can. It was a gift, ya know Smile

I've experience zero noise with CFLs. I can put a transistor radio up to about 6 inches close before I hear any garbage. But it seems that many of them are not so good or are in the process of failing and thats when they generate so much racket.
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi had same trouble.Fixed it by tossing all CFLs (2) trouble fixed! Beware of power strips and do not overload them.They have been cause of fires.Keep them clean and way from heat ect.Sprman : )

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Naddy69 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:38 pm

My house is full of CFLs and I have no problems. I have to have a radio within about a foot of a CFL to hear any interference on AM.

Naddy69

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Isn't it interesting how we all have different results with similar things. I suspect there is "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly". No doubt, different manufacturers do things differently.

I have seen those touch lamps cause problems too. I guess anything that has a switching power supply MIGHT cause a problem. Just a hunch...

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum