Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More "new" records

Go down

More "new" records Empty More "new" records

Post by Wildcat445 Sat May 30, 2015 10:09 pm

There is a man and a lady in our community, both widowed, who recently married. Today they had an auction to sell off items that were surplus to their needs after melding both households. I got a stack of records. In this stack was a Lawrence Welk record "Pick-A-Polka" on Coral records, from 1956. This recording was made when Welk himself was still playing the squeeze box. Myron Floren was playing with him. Mono, of course, this material is different from what is typically offered on Welk's recordings. I also got a 1981 digital record of Mel Tillis and Nancy Sinatra "Mel & Nancy", on Elektra. Many of the selections on this album are more hardcore country that you would expect of Nancy Sinatra. And, a couple are more toward rock that Mel Tillis is typically found. And interesting collaboration of two artists with differing music styles. "Texas Cowboy Night" is the song that was most popular on the album. Ray Price albums from the early 1960's, both early "Nashville Sound" efforts are "Bruning Memories" and "Touch My Heart." Unfortunately, both of these albums have been much-played and were really noisy. I had to process them to my hard drive to clean them up. There is nary a dud in the bunch as far as song selections are concerned. By "early Nashville Sound" I refer to Floyd Cramer piano and steel guitar have not been replaced totally by strings and a choir. Both of these albums are recorded in Columbia's version of "hyper stereo", "360 Sound."

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

More "new" records Empty Re: More "new" records

Post by willy3486 Sat May 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Good finds. Anymore I get most of my records at Good will. Someone contacted me wanting to sell me a 60s astrosonic magnavox and about 70 to 80 records. They told me they has seen these players sold for hundreds and some of the records for 27 bucks apiece.  I checked on the astro sonic and it apparently is the name Magnavox used with solid state. They sent me a picture and its huge.  I can pick through the records at goodwill and they run 99 cents.  I wonder anymore if I am wasting my time with these adds. All I seem to get is folks who won't tell me what they want but then toss out prices out of my price range. You know I want to pay a fair price to me and the seller but I get tired of prices I know I can beat if I run across one somewhere else. I had a chance to buy 5 to 6 of these consoles for 100 bucks not to long ago. Am I too cheap or are folks asking to much?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1391
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sat May 30, 2015 11:31 pm

That Astro-Sonic might be worth $25 to someone who is too drunk or high to say no.  I got the stack of records today for $3.  There are 51 records in the stack.  Some are going on my "donation" pile, but most are good, usable country and easy-listening type material.  There are a couple Diana Ross records, but that is the only rock in the stack.  I would not pay $27 for a truck load of records.  Astro-Sonic Magnavox instruments are plentiful and nearly worthless.  The really early ones, 1963 to mid-1965 are "real" Magnavoxes with hardwood cabinets like the tube models.  The later ones are particle board and plastic.  It is really sad how Magnavox got their head handed to them by Zenith and RCA with their solid state models.  You are correct in your thinking in this regard, IMHO, of course.  Very Happy

Willy, I believe if I were to advertise wanting electronic equipment, I would state in the ad that I am not interested in solid state or transistorized console stereos. That might save you from wasting your time with these calls. On the other hand, they are a cheap way for the uninitiated to get "into vinyl." The problem is getting somebody to work on them so they can be used. I personally believe them to be nearly worthless, with zero collector interest. If I were to acquire one to flip to said "uninitiated" it would have to be dirt cheap or free.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 Sun May 31, 2015 12:06 am

I posted another post on this very subject if I am too cheap. Its at

https://www.tuberadioforum.com/t4500-am-i-too-cheap#35551

As far as my ad I have that I want junk tube items,parts etc. I posted I am not interested in anything made from the mid 60s on. I also post I am looking for the older tube TVs made before 1960. For every email I get on tube stuff I get 4 or 5 emails about TVs made after 1980. I have had the ad out there for a few years and have found very little. I wonder if it is even worth it. If I could find this stuff at yard sales or similar avenues I wouldn't waste my time. Although I have more than I will ever need. I keep thinking I will eventually fix some to sell in a antique store. One lady I know has a store I buy stuff at. I may sell some of my stuff in there.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1391
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sun May 31, 2015 12:20 am

One thing to consider is that most people do not know when an item was built. They just know it is "old" and "valuable." I don't see any good workaround for that. Even the tube and solid state part will confuse them. If it is "like really old, in the '80's dude" they think that is antique with tubes, when, in reality it is simply worthless solid state junk. You may have to wade thru the chaff to get the good stuff, and just consider it part of the business. I did that in the auto restoration business. You would be surprised how many people thought a four door sedan and a four door hardtop were the same thing. Some people refer to ebay and google for their information. These sources are not always accurate.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Willy, if you aren't paying by the word in your ads, you ought to state the sort of price range you would expect to pay. The folks who would become indignant could do so privately and not waste your (and their) time. You might come across more people ready to do business. They could have their rainbow chasing done with by the time you are contacted.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:49 am

I realize you guys are not the "old" country music fan that I am. The "Touch My Heart" album by Ray Price is one of those albums you come across that you can't get enough of. The musicality, the vocals, the songwriting, all work together to make something really special. I found another album in the stack, "Devil Woman" by Marty Robbins, from 1962 on Columbia recorded in "360 Sound" hyper-stereo. Marty Robbins was a pretty fair three-finger piano player. This album showcases those talents admirably. Just typical early Marty Robbins material, half country and half pop. Most of the material he wrote himself. I've said this before, but they just don't record music like this anymore.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:00 am

No. Actually, I'm into older country music by people like Vernon Dalhart.
Favorites like "The prisoner's song", "The wreck of the southern '97", "Jessee James", and, "Sinking of the Titanic" are a few favorites that come to mind........ Raneu was the instrumentalist. These records included guitar, harmonica, and, at times, Jews harp.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4423
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:36 am

I have an LP around here somewhere that was a re-issue of Vernon Dalhart material. If my memory is not totally faulty, it is on RCA Camden and is re-processed for stereo. From the 1960-1963 era, maybe. It is not a terribly good record, since they just processed 78's and put them on an LP. It has "Wreck of the Old 97" and "When the Work's All Done This Fall" on it. It is too bad that Dalhart was not recorded on tape so his recordings could be cleaned up. The amazing part of the Nashville Sound is that oboes and French harps are included right along with a steel guitar and slap bass. That era also introduced drums and percussion to country music, amid much controversy.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Most of the Vernon Dalhart I have are on Edison, including Blue Amberol cylinders. I always believe in getting nice, clean copies to enjoy.........

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:21 pm

I also have one really hot country by him called "Buffalo Gal, won't you come out tonight?".

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Kaplan's Melodists, and, later, one of the big bands did a good version of Prisonner's song Waltz. The big band one was more like a fox trot. But, still, good.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum