Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection

Go down

any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection Empty any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection

Post by RadioRich on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:41 am

Hello Everyone,
around Christmas time I found a Heatkit Mohican in the basement of a house I was helping hauling away junk Very Happy before they put the place on the market for around $600k Well I would like to get this set up and running and start listening to it .
this sets in not bad smape the metal cabinet needs some paint it has a little minor rust but I checked the circuit boards for problems because this was used about a 50 plus feet Sailing yacht since this wooden haul boat has the sails and two big masts.
far as restoring this set is there any problems to look for or headaches. with fixing this set . also does this set work anygood
Sincerely Rich

RadioRich

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection Empty Re: any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection

Post by TonyC on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Mine is working but, compared to most of my other radios, this one is not that impressive. I spent most of my time with the dial mechanism and it is still not right. The funky setup with the big pully on the end of a long shaft puts all kinds of torque on that little bitty "gear box". It bends and the pully travels in a wobbly oval as it turns. The BFO doesn't seem to be very effective. The S-meter doesn't work very well. I hear more noise than signal with it, even after alignment.

I keep it on the shelf because it looks cool. I always wanted one when I was a kid.
TonyC
TonyC

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection Empty Re: any one have Heathkit mohican in their collection

Post by RadioRich on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello Tony,
Well that does not sound like they designed this set very well then
Sincerely Rich

RadioRich

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Myers on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:37 pm

I think that Popular Communications mag had a artical on restoring the Mohican.

Steve

Steve Myers

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum