Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED

Go down

Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED Empty Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:28 pm

I have an RCA 45rpm 8EY4 Deluxe record player that I totally recapped about a month ago, and I've been playing it often. Yesterday, I turned it on and it has a terrible hum...even with the volume control turned all the way down. I suspected a bad tube and pulled the tubes and checked them on my tube checker. All four tubes test very strong with no shorts. What could cause this? I would think if something in the amp was going to break down it would do so before a month of using the player. The set has a tube lineup of 35W4, 12AX7 and two 35C5's.

You guys got any ideas?

Last edited by moses_007 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:36 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED Empty Re: Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED

Post by Badrestorer on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Larry,
Recheck the filter caps, maybe replace them again. If that doesn't work bring it to the house. I'll take a look at it.

John

Badrestorer

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED Empty Re: Bad Hum in RCA Record Player.. PROBLEM FIXED

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm going to pull the amp tonight and have a close look to be sure an electrolytic is not grounding out and also check solder joints closely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Problem is fixed. The 7HF45 has the same tubes as the 8EY4 Deluxe, so I opened the 7HF45 and started substituting tubes. The 12AX7 and 35W4 tubes were fine. When I substituted the first 35C5 tube, the hum was gone.

Thanks, guys for all your help. Now I know a tube can cause just as bad a hum as a bad electrolytic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Filament-Cathode short...

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lou deGonzague on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:54 pm

What kind of tube checker do you have? It should have shown such a bad short like an H-K leakage.

Lou deGonzague

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Lou,

The tube "checker" was a tube swap I believe. Probably the best tube checker out there...

Don Cavey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:32 am

I have a tube checker, a Heathkit checker, and it tested that tube super strong with no shorts.

Tonight I ordered a couple of NOS 35C5's and a 35W4 from AES just to have some extras on hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm

I just don't think a tube checker always catches this type of problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Larry,

Yes, substitution is the ultimate tube tester. But some of us have tubes coming out of our rear ends and others have only those tubes that are in the actual piece of equipment. I have some extras that I use. But I do test them. H-K shorts are known to cause hum. And those high filament voltage output tubes are working hard and bet very hot. They also have lots of filament wire wrapped back and forth inside of the cathode so it is not impossible for it to fail.

As noted, most of the time it is a open filter capacitor. But since that problem was already addressed, the next logical place to look would be the output tube(s).

Most importantly, glad you got 'er running! I have a 45-EY-4 and it sounds amazing. Don't remember if it is PP 35L6 or 35C5. And I don't know if they made both, maybe not. I know that Bill Cahill will know...

Don Cavey

Back to top Go down

Post by easyrider8 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 pm

Any Heathkit should have found that bad tube, has your tester been refurbished? At what point does it start to indicate a short, you may have a bad resistor in the short test circuit.

Dave
easyrider8
easyrider8

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Don Cavey wrote:Larry,

Yes, substitution is the ultimate tube tester. But some of us have tubes coming out of our rear ends and others have only those tubes that are in the actual piece of equipment. I have some extras that I use. But I do test them. H-K shorts are known to cause hum. And those high filament voltage output tubes are working hard and bet very hot. They also have lots of filament wire wrapped back and forth inside of the cathode so it is not impossible for it to fail.

As noted, most of the time it is a open filter capacitor. But since that problem was already addressed, the next logical place to look would be the output tube(s).

Most importantly, glad you got 'er running! I have a 45-EY-4 and it sounds amazing. Don't remember if it is PP 35L6 or 35C5. And I don't know if they made both, maybe not. I know that Bill Cahill will know...

The 45EY4 has a pair of 35L6GT output tubes, whereas the 8EY4 Deluxe has a pair of 35C5 miniatures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks! I have not taken mine apart. I actually bought it in working condition. It does sound very good...

Don Cavey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum