Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?).

Go down

Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?). Empty Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?).

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:31 pm

One of the guys on the antique radio groups on Facebook has one of these receivers for sale. It covers 550 khz to 30 mhz and is in overall good condition but I believe it needs recapped and has some chassis rust along with missing the 12J5 and 12K8 tubes. I can get a 12J5 for 2.50 used and 12K8 for 4.50 new at Fair Radio Sales. I'm just curious if anyone is familiar with that receiver or similar, and what it's worth. Also if anyone knows how complex it is? As i'm still in the early stages as far as recapping radios.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?). Empty Re: Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?).

Post by Doug Burskey on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:33 pm

I have one of those. It was made by Hallicrafters as a line of low cost radios. The big thing to watch out for is that chassis has to be isolated from the metal cabinet for electrical safety.On side of the line cord is connected to the chassis through the switch. It would be a good idea to replace the power cord with a polarized cord so the neutral side is connected to the chassis. Unless you want to be authentic.
As far as cap replacement it's not easiest or the hardest. With that speaker on the top can get a lot of dust and junk in the air gap (between the voice coil and the magnet) I was able to fix mine. Working correctly that little radio is a good performer and decent sound for a metal box. I think that is the forerunner of the Hallicrafters  S-38. As far as value it's what ever it's worth to you.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?). Empty Re: Echophone Commercial receiver.(EC-1?).

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 pm

So it has a hot chassis then? Which i'm guessing it's transformerless then?
I figured it would be a bit intermediate, but wasn't sure. It caught my eye mainly due to it being a longwave and shortwave receiver. I'm just not sure if i'll be able to get it, as he currently wants 45.00 for it and with it weighing 10 pounds, it will cost me 10-12.00 to have it shipped. I couldn't calculate exact shipping since USPS doesn't have standard (parcel) post on their calculator anymore.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:41 pm

I also have one. They are known as ' moral radios ' from WW II. ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Schematic is in Rider Volume 14.  Recapping should not be hard job.
Resistors and Capacitors are pretty much all common values.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by rocketeer on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:40 pm

I have a nice clean PDF of the manual for the EC-1 that I scanned (I also have EC-2 and EC-3 manuals). PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Larry
rocketeer
rocketeer

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum