Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CB antenna

Go down

CB antenna Empty CB antenna

Post by willy3486 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:43 pm

OK here is a question for anyone into CB radios. I really have no interest in talking on a CB radio but I have one I would like to go through. My uncle gave me this tube CB radio and I would like to go through it then listen to it some. My question deals with antennas. I have a magnetic mount antenna but the best I remember it won't tune correctly as it needs the metal body of a car to surround it to be balanced or something. Its been 25 years since I have fooled with them. Anyway is there a way I could use this antenna I have or a cheap apartment style out there that can be bought. I wouldn't mind putting up a small one on a post about 5 feet tall but I really don't want one of those big types you use to see around my house. If I do set one up will I have to retune the antenna for each radio? I use to work on these things but I have forgot 99.9% of what I use to know on them.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

CB antenna Empty Re: CB antenna

Post by Motorola man on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:34 pm

You can use can use pretty much anything for a receiving antenna. Tuning isn't critical unless you will be transmitting. If the antenna is not correctly tuned, the transmitting RF will be reflected back into the radio and can cause the transmit amplifier to fry. The mag mount that you have will probably do just fine, as long as the coil in the base isn't open.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:42 pm

I still have a SWR (standing wave ratio) meter to set the antenna on a CB radio. Bouncing around in a truck would mess the SWR up, and transmitting would be affected. IIRC, you have to cut the antenna whip off to change the SWR. It has been over 30 years since I messed with a CB. I still have my old Midland CB that has travelled a million miles bouncing around on the instrument panel of a V-8 Mack. We could "ratchet jaw", Willy. You already know my CB "handle."

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 pm

Although I don't expect to transmit much if any but I would like to be able to. For example in emergency if phone lines are dead and there is a emergency it would be nice. Also if someone needed help on a cb and I called for help I would like to be able to tell them help is on the way. So I would like to be able to transmit if needed. So I would like to tune it in. IIRC this one I have you adjust the whip with a allen screw and then move it up or down.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:09 pm

You could also find a rf power/reflected power meter on Ebay cheap and have it to use as you move up with antennae.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Here's a little info to make some antennas--it's a UK site, but their CB frequency band is the same as over here. http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/cb_radio_03.html
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:01 pm

PS, I agree about having a rig just for emergencies. No cell towers required to keep in touch with the rest of the world. I keep one on hand with all the accessories, but do not actually use it. We don't get hurricanes, but we get tornadoes up here.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:23 am

I used to transmit on a simple mag mount all the time. Just stuck it to something steel. I'd also use a SWR meter to be certain my match stayed within proper range. Never had a problem. You won't get out very far on a mag mount but it will do the trick though. Years ago when I would just want to listen, I would use a simple wire or coat hanger. However you would never key up with a makeshift antenna or you can kiss your final transistors goodbye, or in your case the tubes that serve the same purpose.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum