Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

Go down

Vehicle CD Player Current draw question Empty Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:53 pm

I'm considering using my Kenwood CD player I have to play Christmas music outside, which means i'd have to run it off of a power supply. Now i'm just not certain how large of one I would need. I'm thinking a 1-2 amp would be sufficient but not certain. I don't want to put too small of one on it and have it fail. Would that be large enough or should I go 3-4 amps? The supply I get would likely be 12 volts and not 13.5-14 with no load. Just something inexpensive off of The Bay. Sure a nice large regulated supply would be nice, but not happening right now.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Vehicle CD Player Current draw question Empty Re: Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:28 pm

If you have the manual or the original harness for it, check the fuse rating. That makes an easy clue.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Vehicle CD Player Current draw question Empty Re: Vehicle CD Player Current draw question

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:36 pm

It has a 10 amp fuse in it. I see that as it pulls less than 10 amps.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Most I've seen have been fused at 10A. I would go 3-4 on the power supply. The heapest way to go would be a auto battery charger and a borrowed battery, maybe a riding mower battery someone would want to exercise this time of year.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:30 pm

I have a car battery out of my car, rated at 800 CA and 650 CCA. I guess I could keep a trickle charger on it during the duration of running the CD Player. I can get a HFT automatic float charger for 10.00, which is just a bit more than a cheap power supply. That would work wouldn't it?
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 pm

You can use a 500ma@12v wall wart as a maintainer, assuming five/six hours of player operation a 250ma would probably be OK...

I've used 12v@1A wall wart to recharge a dead car battery(lights left on) enough in 24 hrs to be able to start car...
35Z5
35Z5

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm

That'd give you nice clean strong power, with a little bit of cheap thrown in.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:20 pm

I am using a small transmitter with a little transistor radio for Christmas music outside. I have it hidden in a bush and it freaks people out. I have the transmitter connected to the "tape out" on a Magnavox stereo. My CD changer is connected to the "tape in".

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Playing the wizard of Menlo Park, eh? Very Happy
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 pm

That's what I figured, but had to be certain. I like the idea of using the battery instead of a cheap switching supply that could fail at any time or produce RF noise.
I wouldn't mind do something with a transmitter and portable radio, but I don't have either. Where I can set up the CD Player and speakers isn't that far of a distance so it's not that bad to do and only requires a few feet of speaker wire.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:10 pm

http://r.ebay.com/XVpPBm
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I have a 300 disc Sony CD changer that I play thru my old stereos. I have my little transmitter connected to a tape output on the Imperial. I just play the stereo like I know what I am doing and it plays on the little transistor radio out in the bushes. The radio I am using is a Radio Shack multi-band I gave $1 for at an auction. It is pretty beat and is missing its battery cover. If somebody steals it or if it rains on it, who cares? It has a fairly good speaker with a tone control, and it sounds really good. The neighbors do not like Mel Tillis, I guess. I had the transmitter on today when I decided to jam. I had forgotten about it. I got a call from the HOA. OOPS!

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:http://r.ebay.com/XVpPBm

I have one of those RS specials 3 amp power supply. It is older and doesn't have the cigarette lighter plug, just screws in the back to connect. Anyway it is a rock steady supply. I have had it over 30 years and in that time I replaced the transformer once and the tip 30 transistor a couple of times. Easy to fix also. Anyway that is the supply I have used when I repaired radio ,tape decks. Best I remember it powered most if not all fine. I haven't used it on a CD but I would think the power draw would be similar. I even have a scan of the schematic and when I need a 12 volt supply I usually make it from that schematic. Most of the time I have the parts in my junkbox and build it from parts I already have.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 pm

I actually found a 3.3 amp power supply at a thrift store today. I paid 25 cents for it. It's just a small switching supply and not certain if it works. If it does i'm going to use it but give it a trial run first and see how it performs. If it doesn't work then i'm only out 25 cents. I'll eventually build me or get me a supply. I have an old computer supply but I use that for my 12 volt fan and to charge my Bluetooth speaker with the 5 volt section.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum