Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duane Eddy

5 posters

Go down

Duane Eddy Empty Duane Eddy

Post by Wildcat445 Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I have probably the only Duane Eddy country album ever recorded "Twang A Country Guitar" , on RCA Victor, LSP-2861, from 1963. This is one of the RCA albums I have in all five "flavors", Mono, Living Stereo, and Stereo Dynagroove from 1963 and Stereo and Mono Dynagroove, re-issued albums from 1964 and 1965 respectively. All the Nashville Sound heavy hitters are on this album. Chet Atkins on electric guitar, Floyd Cramer on piano, Lloyd Green on steel, Buddy Harmon on drums and Bob Moore on bass. I'm not sure who the fiddle player is, but I suspect Johnny Gimble, since he was under contract to RCA at the time. It could have been Jethro Burns, but not as likely. As might be suspected by such an all-star cast supporting a "newbie", Lloyd Green and Floyd Cramer steal the show. Anita Kerr singers provide backup and Duane Eddy's unique "twangy" guitar styling provide one of the more unique instrumental albums in my collection. "Crazy Arms", "The Window Up Above" "Have You Ever Been Lonely", "Sugarfoot Rag" are some of the selections offered. The "Living Stereo" version is the one I processed to CD. It's "hyper-stereo" sounds remarkable on an old Magnavox stereo. "Sugarfoot Rag" gives a rare glimpse of Floyd Cramer's three-finger honky tonk piano abilities. I would probably have named this album "The Nashville Sound Presents Duane Eddy." There is lots of good "pickin'" on this album, and some great belly-rubbers to play at a barn dance.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Duane Eddy Empty Re: Duane Eddy

Post by jerryhawthorne Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:58 pm

WC, one of my favorite artists from the early sixties. Rebel Rouser and a recording which I don't seem to locate, something about "500 miles of bad road". I may be wrong on the distance. I wish I would have kept that album. The u-tube when you google Duane and go to the video for Rebel Rouser, is very nice sound. The guy on the sax is great. I just always like the sound of Duane's guitar, nothing like it then and really nothing like it now.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2012-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:08 pm

cheers
frank1956
frank1956

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:34 pm

I have quite the collection of Duane Eddy material.  The oldest one I have is self-titled, on the Jamie label from 1958.  I'm not sure when he got his RCA contract, but I have another Duane Eddy album on RCA from 1961.  That sax player you mention is probably Boots Randolph.  Duane Eddy always sounded to me like he played the lead with a bass guitar.  His sound was unique and he was a favorite of mine.  That "500 miles of bad road" is a song whose title is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't call it just now.  (Having a senior moment!).  I know Dick Curless had a country hit on it during the trucker craze in the 1970's.  I will see if I can come up with the title.  I have the "Rebel Rouser" album, but not on CD yet.  

WC

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:58 pm

I have Rebel Rouser and Because They're Young on 45. I enjoy them both.
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Jerry, does the title "Going Down The Road (Feelin' Bad) ring a bell with you? That Dick Curless record I referenced mentioned Duane Eddy writing and recording the original of a song on his album. I will do some research. My wife suggested this song I just mentioned.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:54 pm

It's 40, not 500.

Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z7nAaTr6JQ&sns=em
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 pm

I remember that song. That is not the one I was thinking of. Embarassed

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:32 pm

Dr. Radio, you are no doubt right. Back then 40 miles would have made a lot more sense. I just have not located that song on a CD. Cool
Things just get longer the older you are!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2012-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum