Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mel Street

3 posters

Go down

Mel Street Empty Mel Street

Post by Wildcat445 Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm

Born King Malachi Street on October 21, 1935, he enjoyed a brief but illustrious career in country music from about 1970 to 1978. I have "Mel Street's Greatest Hits" on CD. I have three of his albums. He did not make very many. Street was a body man from Virginia who worked in radio and broadcasting. He came on the scene at the dawn of the Country Rock craze along with Moe Bandy, Bobby Bare, Narvel Felts, and that bunch. He liked Lefty Frizzel material. He fought depression and mental illness for a time and committed suicide on his 43rd birthday in 1978. We are blessed with his material that still sounds good after all these years.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Mel Street Empty Re: Mel Street

Post by 75X11 Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:56 pm

You lost me there. I'd not heard of him til now.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm

He had a baritone voice and was one of the better country rock artists of the time. He admired Mel Tillis, so that is where the "Mel" came from. Moe Bandy, Joe Stampley, Mickey Gilley, Billy Crash Craddock, Narvel Felts, Diana Trask, Margo Smith, artists like these would be his peers, both in ability and chronology. I'm not sure whether Mel Street recorded with a "house band" or if he had his own. The musicality of his material is one of the better of the period. He recorded for various labels within the GRT family, loosely owned by Mercury records.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I had only heard Narvel Felts' name when he was performing at the Ft. Riley NCO Club. It's still true, Pretty much the only country (pre-country, I reckon) I listen to is Bob Wills. I know there are more members that share your taste in music. They should join in.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Narvel Felts has one of the rangiest voices I ever heard. Almost Anita Kerr mezzo-sopranoish is pitch. The only other country artist with that kind of range I am familiar with is Ricky Van Shelton. He had a better voice in almost every way than Narvel Felts. They recorded some of the same songs that required that kind of range.

My forte, besides ancient country music and the instruments that reproduce it is album cuts and flip sides. The best music ever recorded was not always famous. I am a country music trivia nut. That was the greatest gift I got from my father. His love of and appreciation for music. He could not read or write until us kids got in school, but he was extremely knowledgeable about music. Any kind of music. He called square dances and was the lightest man on his feet I ever knew. He could listen to a record one time, and sing the song on the record word for word, perfectly. He had a great tenor singing voice. He had every song in the song book at church memorized. He memorized most of the Bible, since he could not read. He detested "sissy music." Rock and roll to you and me.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 pm

That is a gift one carries with them for a lifetime.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 am

Wildcat445 wrote:My forte, besides ancient country music and the instruments that reproduce it is album cuts and flip sides.  The best music ever recorded was not always famous.  I am a country music trivia nut.  
WC

I wish you could have met some of the folks I have met in my lifetime. Being from here in TN and living in Nashville for a few years you run across a lot of the history of country music. I have been by Johnny Cash and Roy Orbisons house and I have been in Conway Twittys house. Conways house was smaller than I expected and Cash's house looked like nothing I would have expected him to live in. I have heard all kinds of stories of many of them like how the Judds got discovered and about how nice Willie Nelson is. I have had grammy winners over at my house as well. Dolly Partons attitude is not put on, that is how she really is. She is a great lady and fun to be around I am told. I have a good friend that use to go over to Grandpa Jones log cabin and have a jam session when everyone use to gather there. I live in a little place in the middle of nowhere that a lot of these folks like to live. Its nothing to see John Anderson, Billy Dean or Arron Tippin around town. I knew of one guy who use to work on Porter Waggoners boat. My dad was Dottie Wests cousin and my wife is related to Glen Campbell. But we have not met either one of them. Funny thing is I am not one to listen to country music but I respect folks choices who do. I have nothing against it but I listen to other stuff. Most of what I listen to anymore is smooth jazz, the older stuff like Dean Martin, Al Martino, rat pack, big band and other similar music.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1391
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum