Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does it mean

Go down

What does it mean Empty What does it mean

Post by frank1956 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:29 pm

When your tuning dial is toooooo sensitive. I am still trying to get this RCA X551 aligned properly. The stations come it, some are loud, some are not so loud. The tuning dial is why to sensitive I think, you have to move it super slow to lock in on the station, and then you get bleed over from another station not all. Mostly the ones that are close by i.e. 15 minutes or so up the road.

Frank
frank1956
frank1956

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

What does it mean Empty Re: What does it mean

Post by 75X11 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Did you give the tuning capacitor a real good cleaning at it's bearings and leaf springs? It is important they maintain constant connection throughout the tuning range.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 pm

IF you have a direct-drive tuner, where the tuning knob is mounted directly to the tuner shaft, it can be hard to get the station dead on. A geared-down tuner drive makes this easier. You probably should be glad the radio works at all, considering all the problems you have been having, Frank. It is good for the radio to be sensitive.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:43 am

WC, This radio has the direct-drive tuner. Yea you are right I should be glad it is working period!!! By the way did you get the PM I sent you?

Frank
frank1956
frank1956

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:35 am

One thing back in the day of radios like this, they adapted a lever to help tune, such as a large diameter rubber belt over the knob or even made a kluge and used a pencil or a tongue depressor glued for leverage.

The other issue may be that the AVC may not be working.
If you get station bleed over then alignment may need tweaking or  it could be a tube.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum