Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fats Domino

Go down

Fats Domino Empty Fats Domino

Post by Wildcat445 Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 pm

My wife asked me the other day if I had any Fats Domino material. I had to admit that I didn't. I also had to admit that I am not much of a Fats Domino fan. I went upstairs into my record stash and found a couple old Fats Domino records that I got in a big bunch that I bought at auction. "Blueberry Hill" a live album from 1962 or so and "When My Dreamboat Comes Home" from 1959. Both on Mercury, and both in stereo. Fats Domino could not be called a singer in the traditional sense of the word. His voice has about as much range as the speaker in a clock radio. I had forgotten, or may not have known, that Fats was a three-finger piano pounder of considerable talent, ala Jerry Lee Lewis, Mickey Gilley, Moon Mullican and Del Wood. The band he used was pretty good as well. I don't know whether he had his own band or used a house band. The sax player sounded suspiciously like Boots Randolph, but I would not swear to that. I was impressed with these records. I can't say that I am a Fats Domino fan even yet, but I will say that his music is pleasant and in spite of his, shall we say, different vocal stylings, the whole effort came together rather well.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Fats Domino Empty Re: Fats Domino

Post by 75X11 Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Consider what he was competing with at the time. He was a good reliable r&b performer. I was mighty young when blueberry hill and I'm walkin' were recorded, But I remember they got a lot of airplay.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Of course I had heard "Blueberry Hill" played ad nauseum over the years. I had not had access to any of his album cut material. I learned something today. I experienced an artist with whom I was not familiar. R&B was not played at home. If it was not country or Lawrence Welk, I did not hear it. I almost got disowned over a Connie Francis 45 one time.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 pm

That is one wonderful thing about recorded music. there is so much of it that even old works can be a new discovery. The old Mercury label has a lot of good r&b material.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:39 am

Perhaps growing up collecting and playing 45's cheated me out of really getting into an artist's music. Very often I have found material on an album that I liked better than the popular song that caused me to buy the album. I bought literally a pickup load of records in 2007 and have spent all this time going thru them. I will not live long enough to go thru all those albums. Finding gems like this makes old recordings worthwhile to keep around.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum