Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volume control vice day time/night time

Go down

Volume control vice day time/night time Empty Volume control vice day time/night time

Post by frank1956 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Is there a reason why some stations will come in loud and clear at night vice day. I have notice at night I will pick stations as far away as Canada, and I live in Virginia. These stations will come in crystal clear, volume control works fine, I can raise and lower the pitch no problem. Come day time the same station come in, but the volume does not function as it does for the night. (Is not as loud as it was during the night) If I hold/touch the back of the antenna backboard it does make a difference in the volume of the station.

I am just curious as to why this phenomena occurs if that is what it is ? If not any suggestion as to what might be causing this????

Frank
frank1956
frank1956

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Volume control vice day time/night time Empty Re: Volume control vice day time/night time

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:06 pm

The signal bounces off the ionosphere differently at night than in the day reaching out much further.

Back to top Go down

Volume control vice day time/night time Empty Re: Volume control vice day time/night time

Post by 75X11 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Also, If you listen in the early evening on your nearby stations you may hear a short silence with a sound like there is switching going on, with the station sounding slightly different afterwards. Many stations alter the characteristics of their antennae between day and evening broadcasting to accommodate the atmospheric differences and it's effect on their propagation.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Additionally many stations are required to limit their power at night or even go off air completely, while others can run ful power...

More than you ever wanted to know about classification of radio stations from clear channel(generally 50Kw) down to grave yard stations(locals limited to a Kw max)...

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/ccs.htm
35Z5
35Z5

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Another aspect is interference.

Most businesses and causes of RFI are closed and turned off and not "fighting" with weaker signals.

During major holidays I can hear weak, small town (low power, locally owned) AM radio stations come in crystal clear and loud vs. typical days of the week when they are a-wash in hash, static, fuzz and fade Smile
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum