Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General test equipment discussion

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

General test equipment discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General test equipment discussion

Post by Ragwire on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:16 pm

^^^ Looks like my homebrew RF probe or DMM is 2.1 mV off...Can't be the Tek. Laughing
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

General test equipment discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General test equipment discussion

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Nice looking unit! I've seen them on the market for a long while, so they must be a refined product.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 pm

It's been a joy to use. Did my old Heathkit do the job? You bet it did! (And still does...it is a backup unit now) But the new one is more accurate on the dial settings...mostly at the higher frequencies like FM, VHF. And the output is a fair bit stronger when turned all the way up.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm

One thing that may help the output signal is to use a 50ohm termination with a T-BNC. Then use the open none used end for the Scope or counter probe. Most low end generators have impedance that are not standardized.

Then you would get reliable scope or counter measurements.

Another thing you could do is make a chart with the main frequencies marked every 10 squares. Using Engineering paper.

Then hook up and measure with Scope or frequency counter and mark the vertical lines with the frequencies for the analog dial position. Then on the bottom Horizontal frequency numbers Using the same numbers as the vertical lines, mark the frequency counter numbers.

This would help you see how far off the generator is at specific frequencies. Remember though some times the generator will overload the counter and you will see a harmonic frequencies over  the primary frequency. That's where a termination will help, as it will act as a load. Have I explained it correctly? scratch

Mark both frequencies and draw a line between each of the frequencies on your chart to get an Idea of how accurate the generator dial is.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum