Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please .....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Empty Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please .....

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:47 pm

What is all this hooey all over the internet about a Zenith 1000z Stratosphere with a mere 25 tubes. And no FM? Presenting for the first time seen in public...

TADA!!!!

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg20

neali

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Empty Re: Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please .....

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Yup, that is right. Read the plaque.

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg21

neali

Back to top Go down

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Empty Re: Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please .....

Post by 75X11 Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Congratulations!!
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:52 pm

A genuine 42 tube 660 watt wall pulling watt monster, presentling a 1959 Magnavox Concert Grand Shocked cheers  Very Happy Cool 

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg7

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Let's check out some of that iron. 16 6V6's and 5 5U4's driving dual 15 inch drivers and twin 10 inch horns with 100W RMS of pure tube power!

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg2

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Let's see if the Collaro record changer looks ok...

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg24

Looks pristine. Like it was never used. Hmmm... WHat are those controls on in the turntable bay?

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg25

Phantom control??? Does that mean??????????

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:01 pm

..that it has the remote control option???

Yes, IT DOES!!!!!!!!

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg28

Change records, scan through radio stations stopping on strong signals, turn the country music down when the phone rings without getting up from your chair, that wildcat guy has it made in the shade!

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Peering under the hood there is the Collaro 4 pole motor looking pretty clean sitting above the eye tube.

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg14

Collaro rubber is often soft and pliant after 60 years unlike the rock hard stuff of other changers.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Lets look at one of those amplifiers.

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg6

Six PPP 6V6's to driver the 15 inch driver. Two PP 6V6's to drive the horn. Dual 5U4GB's for mega plate current. One multisection cap to restuff and that big square thing is the equalization that happens before the BI-amps. Unlike my model, this looks like it can be opened up from the top.

Look at that iron. Wildcat must have busted a gut hauling that monster.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 pm

I am sure there will be more pictures to follow plus I hear there is a pretty juicy story about how this came to be in WC's possession. I have heard a piece of it and believe me, no one ever worked harder to get a Concert Grand.

Wildcat's latest acquisition - drum roll please ..... Gcg30

Wildcat,

After you wake up from sleeping off that 1100 mile drive, I hope you will say a few words to the adoring crowds.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Thank you, Neali for those kind remarks. It was an 1136.8 mile drive. It is reputed that a Concert Grand weighs 300 pounds. I believe it. I can handle "my" end long enough to get it out of the truck, but I was grateful to have "my" end sitting on the sidewalk. Magnavox put these things on wheels for a reason.

I have three people to thank for this. First, my long-suffering frau. Not only does she have a Concert Grand AND an Imperial in her AZ room, but one of them is taken apart and spread all over the place, and the other is sitting facing the wall with its 42 tubes hanging out. She is a good sport, and I thank her for her encouragement and for sacrificing me for the last 9 monts while I searched, daily, 32 cities on Craigslist, ebay, etsy, Iland, AuctionArrows.com, AuctionZip.com, and three radio forums for a Concert Grand. Move the cat, my pet. I need my recliner back.

Then there is Neali. Had it not been for his introducing me to the Concert Grand series of instruments, I would never have known that they existed. He has encouraged me to forge ahead when the going got tough. So this acquisition is as much a score for him as for me. Without his input, this would never have happened.

Then my buddy, Fred, needs mentioned here. To make a long story very short, Fred was the facilitator in this deal. He drove to Ft. Worth, TX with me to get it and made sure it got here safely. Without him, this would absolutely not have happened.

And I want to thank the membership and management staff here at TRF for your support. You guys are the best there is.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by neali Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:53 pm

WC.

That is quite a wonderful woman you have.

So, after the Imperial and when you get the CG minted out, what is the first record you are going to play?

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:49 pm

The first record I am going to play on the Imperial will be Connie Francis. "Follow The Boys." These two instruments are being built to run a 300 disc CD player with. I made my own demonstration CD that I am going to play so that I can determine which Magnavox stereo of the four series I like the best. Right now, I say it will be tough to better the Symphony. If either the Imperial or the Concert Grand actually better the Symphony, that will indeed be a happy day. The kettle drums in "Follow The Boys" should shake the fillings in my teeth on the Concert Grand. The first record I am going to play on the Concert Grand will be a 1959 Del Wood recording on RCA, "Mississippi Riverboat." A 1959 stereo recording played on a 1959 stereo.

My Concert Grand is going to get a good checkup to determine if it is safe to operate for short periods until I get a chance to go thru it thoroughly. The tuner is coming out first thing to restring the dial and to clean the exterior and the controls. Somebody tried to "fix" the dial string issue by stretchig the spring. So now that it is thoroughly hacked, I need a new one. I am going to test rectifiers and output tubes and check the resistance in the B+ circuit. If all this checks okay, I will run it for short periods, both to enjoy it and to show those who are interested. I need to get the Imperial back together before I tear into another one.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Nice unit, don't think I've ever seen one...

There was a kid that lived a half block or so from me in the mid '60s whose parents had a big ole M'vox stereo, don't remember much but would about shake the walls...
35Z5
35Z5

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 am

I hope the wonder and enjoyment of it remains bright for you as long as you have it, care for it and most of all experience it!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks, 75. I don't remember ever working harder to find something that I really did not need as I did this stereo. I was determined to have one. My wife told me to go for it, and how could she help. I will cherish this stuff until my dying day.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am

Nice that you were able to get that to keep it out of the hands of  someone who would tear it up. It's funny at one time how someone would want the cabinets from old Magnavox's and other brands to turn into a bar or what ever, and throw out the electronics.
With all the talk about Magnavox is a good kick in the rear to get me started on my little Magnasonic 292

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks, Doug. The reason I started a conversation about Magnavox on TRF is that most of the information out there is either incomplete or inaccurate. There are websites allegedly dedicated to Magnavox that are rife with bragging and BS, and are more concerned about the getters in their tubes than the history and significance of what they are actually dealing with. I have been attempting to wade thru the mis-information and get down to accurate, usable information. I look forward to seeing the progress on your Magnasonic instrument and will be happy to help if you need it, and if I can provide it.

The CG that I rescued was possessed by a couple rummies who intended to make a guitar amp out of it. Nice guys, in the end, but a tad strange. it's a long story that I may tell someday if enough people want to hear it.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 am

Glad you finally found one. I had been on the lookout for one for you myself. I guess if I find one I can keep it for myself now. I remember looking over a year for a sign of a old shop and finally finding mine that came all the way from Worcester Mass. I understand the feeling of finally finding a piece you are looking for. I think the longest I have looked for something and finding it was a knob for my Fada bullet. I had it for about 20 years and finally found one. Congrats on the unit.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1391
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:54 am

That is a beauty! Congrats man!
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Willy there is a NICE Imperial in Dallas for sale. It has been electronically "restored" whatever that means. There is a Symphony for sale in the Chicago area, and a '61 Imperial with wireless remote and Danish Moderne cabinet with glass sliding lids in the Chicago area as well. Just in case you wanted to take the plunge. Should another CG come up for sale, and it will, I will be sure you know about it, if I do.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:39 am

WC, maybe you could become a broker in the better models of Magnavox consoles. That could also help feed the habit. I'll bet as soon as you hung out your shingle, there would be a certain individual with a particular console with a particular horn that would be contacting you too soon.  Very Happy 
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 am

75, my habit is officially dead. This is the LAST thing I am going to buy. (Or so I promised the frau!) My bucket list is complete. I am done. I am going to sell some excess stuff and start downsizing. I have accessed nearly every medium known to mankind in my quest. I found the ad for the auction this CG sold at on AuctionArrows.com. I am still going to keep up on what is out there concerning Magnavox stereos. Now I am on the hunt for documentation for Magnavox stereos. I want an owner's manual for my Imperial and for the CG. Why this stuff is so hard to find, I have no idea. RCA information is falling from the sky. Zenith is nearly as easy. Magnavox information must be classified.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:59 pm

CONGRATULATIONS WC on a great find and addition to your fleet. Thank you for the info on it also. I will check my CG's serial number and see how close they are to each other.
y2kbruce
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:22 pm

My CG's serial number is 0603232. I am pretty sure its a 1961 model.
y2kbruce
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum