Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help!

Go down

Help!  Empty Help!

Post by larrym on Wed May 14, 2014 6:39 pm

I own a 1968 Zenith model Y960 and it was damaged on the inside of the cabinet that houses the turntable during transport across country. The turntable was NOT anchored in place and it chewed up the wood cut out that the turntable sits in and is supposed to be anchored to during such transport. My question is this: Can this piece of wood be replaced at all? It appears to be rather solidly built by Zenith and glued into place. If it can be; does anyone have a similar unit that if possible they would be willing to remove their turntable and send to me a decent tracing of the openings actual size so that I can have a pattern to hire a furniture maker to custom make this piece for me. All other aspects of this unit are near mint and I would hate to have to toss it because this happened to it. The sound is phenomenal!!

I would sincerely appreciate any and all ideas and or assistance.

Regards,

Larrym

larrym

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-14

Back to top Go down

Help!  Empty Re: Help!

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi, Larry. First off, welcome to TRF! This is a great bunch of folks who are happy to help.

Just in the way of a suggestion, you might be able to get a piece of lauan, which is the thin wood used to make door facings. It is easily finished and worked. It comes in 1/4 inch thickness, which does not take up much room. Depending upon how your cabinet is configured, you could reverse trace, cut out and just set the changer on this surface, and not have to get into expensive cabinet restoration. You could stain and finish the lauan so it would match the cabinet finish. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:16 pm

Do you have a photo of the damage? It might be a help for suggestions on fixing it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by larrym on Thu May 15, 2014 4:20 pm

I will take a photo asap and post it. Thanks for the suggestion as you will be able to see the extensive damage to the opening even with the turntable in place!

Regards,

Larrym

larrym

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Welcome to TRF..............

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419