Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asbestos & a frozen knob

Go down

Asbestos & a frozen knob Empty Asbestos & a frozen knob

Post by dorpmuller on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:01 pm

OK, in my battle against bad winter depression I'm going to start another radio, an RCA 66X3 I picked up. I hear they are good performers.

Under the chassis is an asbestos pad that I wanna get rid of or seal-either way, as simple as possible. What's the best way to go about this and not have jackboots and black helicopters outside? Laughing

Other thing is, one knob is frozen on the shaft, and I mean frozen! Shocked scratch I've never had one I can't get off 'till now. Don't want to break it 'cause I don't want the hassle of finding another. I've tried all the tricks I know but no joy.

Comments and thoughts eternally appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich
dorpmuller
dorpmuller

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Asbestos & a frozen knob Empty Re: Asbestos & a frozen knob

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:05 am

As long as you don't disturb the pad you will have no problems. It's when you start messing with it you will release asbestos fibers.
------------------------
On the knob issue, if its wood, just try some WD 40 and let it soak on the shaft for 24-48 hours before trying to remove.

Sometimes they have a set screw that may need the same treatment.

I have used a pair of pliers as a fulcrum (with appropriate padding to prevent marring of the knob and surrounding surfaces.)

Another approch would be to use a can of Keyboard duster (upside down) it will spay the propellant which expands so fast that you can use it as freeze mist. Try that to the shaft as it will make the shaft expand or contract and break the frozen knob free.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:15 am

Some wise old radio guy once gave me a great tip for removing frozen knobs. If you use a BBQ fork, slid all the way down on the knob, it gives you 3/4, or more surface area. Pry the knob off (with some padding, of course)
I used to try needle nose pliers, etc., but this tip has worked very well on stubborn knobs.
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:03 pm

On the asbestos: keep it quiet, and simply leave it there. Asbestos was used to prevent heat damage to the top of the radio.

Millions of us lived for many years with asbestos all around and we're still doing fine. Sure, if asbestos has been found to be a health hazard, and if we benefit from having it removed from new products, that's fine; but some small pad located inside an old radio isn't going to kill you or make you sterile. You provide a greater health hazard by messing with it than by leaving it alone.

For the knob, if it is indeed a press-on type and there is no set screw, the best thing is to use a penetrating oil such as JB Blaster, then wait awhile and try prying it off with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. Haven't heard of the BBQ fork, but it just may work. The trick is to break the knob loose on its shaft without damaging the knob itself in the process.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm

About the knob, could it be one that stays in the cabinet when you remove the chassis? I found out about that the hard way..

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Zenith was big on asbestos pads The universal portables and the first Trans-Oceanic and some smaller table sets had them.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm

You can also seal asbestos pads by putting a thin layer of shellac on it. The idea is to seal the fibers so the won't get into the air. Asbestos won't hurt you if you use a little common sense when handling it.

As to the sticky knob, try wrapping a rag behind the knob and then pull in the ends of the rag. You need to be careful prying on a knob if it is on a radio with a bakelite cabinet.

Regards

WC

Regards

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Like others said on the asbetos just leave it there. I will have to remember to shellac it when I find it. At one place a fellow who worked in maintanance and he said what they did to replace a tile was to pour water on it. Then they would pry it up and get it out. when it was off they would wipe up the water. He said as long as no dust came up it was fine.

As far as knobs goes make a knob puller. I need to make a how to on making one. You can drill two holes on a piece of metal apart from one another. For example cut a piece of metal about 12 inches long by 1 1/4 wide. Then about one inch inside on each end drill a hole a little bigger than a volume shaft is. then just cut in the middle of the hole so you have a half moon shape. You can then bend the ends to a 90 degree angle and in the middle bend it to a curve. You can then slide it under the knob and press in as you pull out.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1390
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Switcher on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 am

Don't you just hate those frozen knobs?affraid 
Switcher
Switcher

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am

RCA was big on asbestos on their metal table model TV's. They painted the asbestos padding black....
I leave it alone, most of the time, and, usually, it's in great shape..

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum