Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio Display

Go down

Radio Display Empty Radio Display

Post by Gary Tayman on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:04 pm

I had a really good day today.

Today was "Historic Day" at the Phillippi Mansion in Sarasota. The Sarasota Historical Society hosted this to raise money for building a museum downtown. The event included all sorts of arts and crafts vendors, both inside the mansion and outside on the grounds. There were also antique cars on display, live bands at the gazebo, Punch and Judy shows outside, and all sorts of other things. In preparation for the event, I was approached and asked if I could bring a few old radios for display.

I indeed took several radios. I also took an AMT-3000 transmitter and some old time radio, and even displayed a "Radio Schedule", with the Lone Ranger on at 10:00, Your Hit Parade at 10:30, Jack Benny at 11:00, etc. For each radio I made a placard that describes the radio model, the year it was made, and a sentence describing something unique about it.

I was placed at the top of the stairs, in a large landing area. It so happens that I was the only person displaying anything upstairs. But everything about it clicked! I could turn on one or two radios, and the bare walls made the sound carry down the stairs, such that everyone coming in the front door would immediately hear the radios. When people climbed the stairs, they would automatically look over and see a Zenith H-500 TO on the floor, at eye level. At the top of the stairs they would see an 8' table filled with radios, one record player, and a few radio transcriptions.

I might also add that the placement had another advantage: security. The way it was situated upstairs, the direction of the stairs, the overall layout of the building were all such that I could put everything on display and even walk around to a degree without fear of knobs disappearing or equipment being messed with.

To call the display a success would be an understatement! I had crowds of people all day, and for much of it I heard comments like, "Oh, these must be the radios that everybody outside is talking about." I heard all about radios that people have in attics or closets, about radios that they "used to have", grandmas telling kids about life before television, and one lady asked if I was married!

When the show was over, several vendors came to me and commented on how they loved the radios. I heard the same from everyone in the Historical Society, from several people from Sarasota County (that manage the property), and especially the lady who called me originally. Needless to say, I'm "expected" there again next year.

A radio display is a tough thing to do. Seems people aren't interested, you can't play anything because it interferes with something else, setup is a mess, it just seems these radios aren't conducive to putting before the public. Well, in this instance it worked out really well.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Radio Display Empty Re: Radio Display

Post by bill57 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:20 pm

Good for you Gary. Sounds like you had a great day. Wish I could have been there enjoying your display and warm weather. I take it your in Sarasota, Florida. Can't imagine any outdoor activities here in the North. Congratulations on your day. I'm sure all present appreciated your display. Old radios and old cars together...Can't get much better than that.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:16 am

Keep on the watch for the woman who asked if you were married.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimes on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:53 am

"Keep on the watch for the woman who asked if you were married."

Yeah, if you see her again, run!

Chimes

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 am

Moses -- I indeed had an RCA record player there -- a 45-J3 which, if you know your model numbers, happens to be the rare one. I had planned to take a few "color" records along to place on it, but decided at the last minute to leave the records at home because they might easily disappear. As it was, I don't think this would have been a problem.

By the way that lady was a granny; my wife would not be jealous.

Some of the things I might change for next time (and I'll bring it up here for the benefit of anyone else who gets the opportunity to do something like this): The idea of the radio schedule was neat, but actually the timing was off because there were some commercials/station breaks cut out; by the end of the day I was a half-hour off. I'd like to spend time making a recording with these added back in to make it more realistic -- BUT -- at the same time, I'd like the ability to show/display other things, such as letting the J3 play a stack of records. I would also like to add, as part of the display, a small radio chassis. A lot of people ask "Where can you get the tubes?", and there were a lot of conversations about recapping and rebuilding radios. With a chassis I could show them what's inside, and which components go bad.

One other GOOD thing about such a display -- it provides an incentive to get going with some of the radio projects. Such a display would not be complete without at least one cathedral. I have two of them, and both are unrestored projects. One is a very plain RCA T-8, the other is an Echophone S-5 (Superhet version). I took the Echophone and made it plain that "I just found it." Imagine that set totally restored and playing! Gotta get moving.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:10 pm

I think the J3 is the Oak changer with a tonearm that looks like a snake. That would have been neat to have played a stack of records. Is there an antique radio club in Sarasota? You might find enough folks interested enough in them to belong to one if there isn't. At the very least, such a display could lead you to some bargains locally on some pretty nice radios. I loved my visit to Sarasota back in the 80s...we took in the circus museum and toured John Ringling's house. I love that area of Florida.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm (Ahem!) the President of the Sarasota Antique Radio Club. We host the Sarasota Radio Meet three times a year, which is attracting people from all over Florida and is continually growing. And yes, we have attracted our local paper, which has snowballed into many opportunies, not the least of which was the display at History Day.

My sister works at the Ringling Mansion.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:22 pm

I'll bet there is one huge expensive radio in the Ringling mansion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Actually I don't recall seeing ANY radios in there. Maybe because all the radios are next door, at Powel Crosley's home.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:23 pm

I just always thought John Ringling would have owned one of those $4,000 radios made in the 1930s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:52 am

moses_007 wrote:I just always thought John Ringling would have owned one of those $4,000 radios made in the 1930s.

I don't know. I'll have to ask my sister the next time I see her. Again, I don't recall seeing a radio in the home, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. John Ringling's Rolls Royce and Mabel Ringling's Pierce Arrow are in storage at a nearby museum, and a friend of mine recently made them roadworthy so they can be displayed at certain events. John also had two railroad cars; the Wisconsin is being restored and is on display at the mansion now. The Jomar was found in extremely rough shape, and I believe is being made into a restaurant nearby. As for radios, I don't know; maybe there's a Capehart in the storage room, waiting to be discovered.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:58 am

Gary, are they having that show this year? Sounds interesting. Are you still helping there? What's the theme for this year?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:45 am

Regarding any historical shows where I'll be displaying any radios, I have not been contacted about anything.

As for the Sarasota Radio Meet, it is April 2. I have done my best to get flyers out, but too many obstacles have gotten in the way -- and someone else does the mailings, has yet to pick up my flyers for that. It's getting discouraging; I feel like I'm the only one who does anything.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 am

I know the feeling. If I had some, I'd put some out for you...
Any chance anyone going there would give me rides? I'd help with gas money.
I've heard alot about the radio meets in Sarasota, and, I'd love to go.....
Good luck, Gary......
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4419
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: