Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with Model # ? , please

4 posters

Go down

Help with Model # ? , please Empty Help with Model # ? , please

Post by rabblrouzr Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:15 am

Hi All!: New to this Forum, but I have been a fan of the Magnavox AstroSonic Series since I had one at my cottage. Sold it with the cottage :'(, but have been looking for another since then. Came across one on EBAY but no where does it say AstroSonic, but the model # is PD6906PE61... it has the 8-Track player and looks to be from early 70's. Can someone pin down the Year please?..... and is it Astrosonic in most respects except for no badging? The phono arm is slim and silver, but the Radio dials seem to be black centered with silver around edge.... I prefer the chromy metal dials on my old Cottage Astrosonic which I think was from '68.
Anyway, if someone can point me to a source on how to figure out the Model # and its year, that'd be great! I have a smaller 44" model upstairs here that I don't know its year either.... but it does say AstroSonic on her!
Thanks, Ron ( rabblrouzr )

rabblrouzr

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-04-04

Back to top Go down

Help with Model # ? , please Empty Re: Help with Model # ? , please

Post by Wildcat445 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Welcome to TRF! There are several Magnavox enthusiasts here, myself included. The model number you gave does not appear to be correct. It should be something like 2ST 3561 or something similar. Look on the back cover and you should find a paper tag with the model and serial numbers on it. To obtain service information for your stereo, the numbers off the chassis are required. Hope this helps.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Welcome to TRF. That number doesn't sound right. Please check again..............

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4432
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. I don't know what your skill level is, but if you are comfortable with disassembly, you can do this:

Unplug the power cord.

Remove the back.

Look for "Date Codes" on the various electronic components.

Capacitors are usually good for date codes. Check the speakers as well. Typically you can find the capacitors in the cross-over circuitry connected to the speakers.

A code will be 4 digits typically. I.E. "6924". This means the 24th week of the year 1969.

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rabblrouzr Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey All:
thank-you for your responses.... I was looking through YouTube and Jeffery had a 1972 Catalog posted in there, so I saw this same unit in that '72 Catalog listed as a Model 3943. Which seems appropriate as the unit on Ebay has the slim silver tone-arm on the record changer, as well as the Mod illumination tuning scale and finally comes with an 8-Track player. I don't really need it as I already have the model 3763 Castilian 50 Watt Speakers, but the extra featured 100 watt Speaker unit would be nice that is on Ebay over in Spokane. Somebody should come to its rescue.

rabblrouzr

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 pm

I have more now than my long-suffering wife deserves. She may be coming into a couple more in the near future, especially if I can find a Concert Grand. I have to draw the line somewhere. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum