Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plastic Radios

Go down

Plastic Radios Empty Plastic Radios

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:23 pm

I sure many of you have your favorite ways of cleaning/restoring the finish on plastic radios.

Today I decided to experiment with an old Admiral 4 tube radio that I don't much care about. This radio is light pink with an ivory face. The case was full of light nicks and scratches filled with dirt which defied many cleaners. I "borrowed" some Soft Scrub bath and kitchen cleaner from Dana. This mild abrasive really cleaned up all the scratches and nicks and left the finish very nice but slightly dull. Next I used Meguiar's cleaner/wax from my collection of automotive cleaners. The plastic cabinet looks like new! On other radios I've used the Meguiar's all by itself but this radio needed some extra deep cleaning.

What method do you use?

Back to top Go down

Plastic Radios Empty Re: Plastic Radios

Post by 35Z5 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I'll grab whatever I bought last but only a few of mine have ever seen any wax at all, I generally put function over form...
35Z5
35Z5

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:58 pm

I generally put function over form...

For myself I agree with you, however many of the people who purchase these radios are into retro-decorating and don't care if the unit works so long as it looks pretty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 pm

For cleaning plastic radio cabinets, I cover the labels with clear shipping tape, then toss them in the dishwasher. I am always sure to turn off the dry feature, as it gets too hot. I like the Maguire's idea. I might try that. Thanks for the tip.  Wink 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum