Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baking painted bakelite

Go down

Baking painted bakelite Empty Baking painted bakelite

Post by dorpmuller on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:22 pm

Can it be done? I just repainted a beat painted bakelite cab and thought about putting it in the oven at ~150-200 deg. to bake the paint (Krylon) nice and hard and to get it dried hard so I can handle it and make it stick better.

I've done this with metal parts, any reason I couldn't do it with bakelite?

Thanks,

Rich
dorpmuller
dorpmuller

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Baking painted bakelite Empty Re: Baking painted bakelite

Post by Ken g on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:22 pm

I tried baking some stuff painted with spray cans and it did basically nothing . The baked parts chipped just as easy .
What i do is use the spray cans from the auto parts stores then top it off with the same brand clear top coat .

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by dorpmuller on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:48 am

I went ahead and baked it... what's nice is that it got the paint dried hard to where I could handle the cabinet. Radio's all back together.

Rich
dorpmuller
dorpmuller

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

I use Rustoleum black paint on transformers. It depends on what was original, gloss or semi-gloss. Good results with both. I have used the oven to bake the finish on and it works well. It does stink but my cats don't complain because they don't know what is going on. Only an occasional female visitor here and surely, I don't bake on enamel when she is here Wink

I have not tried to paint and bake Bakelite yet. But I don't thinkt that the 170°F temperature would harm it. Good idea actually. As for chipping, that can always be a problem with spray paint. My solution is to be as careful as possible. But sometimes, stuff happens and it does get chipped.

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello Don,
I agree with you there stuff does happen
there is nothing we can do about like one time I was finishing up on a 20in Rca tv from the 90s it was sitting on my bench guess what I caught the power cord and the tv feel to the concrete floor well I was lucky all it did was to make little crack in the cabinet
Sincerely Rich

RadioRich

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum