Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zenith "Walton" factory white finish?

Go down

Zenith "Walton" factory white finish? Empty Zenith "Walton" factory white finish?

Post by tubesrgr8 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Icy rain accumulating outside, a good time for reminiscences. Back in 2002 attending an OKVRC meeting, there was a superb looking Zenith "Walton" tombstone, a beautiful refinish job. Barely noticeable were some very small white spots in a couple of places around the dial bezel. The owner said when he bought the radio it was all white, and presuming someone had painted it, he stripped it and proceeded to refinish it "properly". He wasn't able to get all the white off the bezel. Oddly the inside of the cabinet was also white. Well, it won a ribbon, but the consensus was that it was a factory white paint job, quite rare but not unknown! I think the owner was wishing he had left it white... Can anyone confirm the validity of a factory white painted Zenith tombstone?
tubesrgr8
tubesrgr8

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2013-01-01

Back to top Go down

Zenith "Walton" factory white finish? Empty Re: Zenith "Walton" factory white finish?

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:09 pm

I can't prove it, but I'd say it was indeed a rare factory white set. Every few years on the Internet "boards" someone asked about previous or new found examples of white Zenith consoles. Those have been proven to be factory... So I don't even blink when I hear about a Zenith tombstone.

Another thing to think about--why did the average person paint a "good" radio back in the day? The idea was keeping something of value but keeping it "current" as trends and interior decorating changes. Something extinct today in the "I'm bored with this" throw- away world. The point I'm trying to make is the average person would never had gone to such lenghts of painting the inside of the cabinet, at least without not making a giant mess.

If I ever find a genuine painted Zenith, I'd be quite torn, keep due to rarity or sell? It's one of things where everyone immediately says "looks like some idiot painted it". I really like the stained/lacquered look of wood.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Zenith "Walton" factory white finish? Empty Re: Zenith "Walton" factory white finish?

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:50 am

Looking at the copy of a 1937 Zenith brochure,indicates that the cabinets were available in bone white, and I would think it was being done 1938 as well. I had a Philco table radio of same vintage that was factory finished in ivory/bone white color.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:46 pm

The Zenith factory bone white finishes do not age well. They are cherished by some for their rarity, but they look like swiss cheese that was left on on the counter making a midnight snack. Yellow and uneven. If you see a white white finish, it has been repainted.

neali

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum