Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format...

Go down

Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format... Empty Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format...

Post by FM Refugee on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04 pm

...actually two. We have two AM stations here in Maine that just went from sports/talk/whatever to an oldies format cheers . One is 870 kHz in Portland and the other is 1470 kHz in Lewiston (don't know the call letters right off hand); they are now simulcasting under the moniker 'The Oldies Channel' and featuring 1950s and 1960s music...gives me some extra motivation to get back into radios...
FM Refugee
FM Refugee

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format... Empty Re: Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format...

Post by tube radio on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 pm

It's always good to hear about stations going to oldies format.

Lee

tube radio

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format... Empty Re: Another AM station has converted to an 'oldies' format...

Post by Tony V on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:40 am

Hopefully thats a trend that will continue!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terry h on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:30 pm

I hope they have more than 20 songs between em. If they do the top 10 from every year over and over, they won't have my ear!

terry h

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by n0bst on Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:50 pm

And if they did it in AM stereo that would be even cooler. One thing to remember about this era of music history is that it's entirely possible for hits to have been regional. In MSP we had a song "Do the Crusher" which was based on pro wrestling. Not sure if anyone outside the area would have been familiar with it. Doubtless there may have been some beach music played in the Carolinas that was never heard in Minnesota.

Another thing I remember is if you had two rock-n-roll stations in town, sometimes a song would be played on one but not the other. I remember this happening with Walter Wart the Freaky Frog. Got played on KDWB but not WDGY. Heard that was the case in a number of other markets too. Sort of skews the charts.

Scott Todd

n0bst

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:52 pm

WLAM
City of license Lewiston, Maine
Broadcast area Lewiston-Auburn area
Frequency 1470 kHz
First air date 1947
Format Oldies
Power 5,000 watts unlimited
Class B
Facility ID 64434
Transmitter Coordinates 44°3′47.00″N 70°15′0.00″W / 44.0630556°N 70.25°W / 44.0630556; -70.25
Callsign meaning Lewiston Auburn Maine
Former callsigns WLAM (1947-1990)
WKZN (1990-1993)
WZOU (1993-2001)
Affiliations WCSH
Owner Nassau Broadcasting
(Nassau Broadcasting III, LLC)
-----------------------------------------
WLVP
City of license Gorham, Maine
Frequency 870 kHz
First air date Current format February 2009
Format Oldies
Power 10 Kw day, 1 Kw night
Class B
Former callsigns WDCI (1980s)
WASY (1980s)
WJBQ (1980s-1989)
WKZN (1989-1990)
WLAM (1990-2001)
WMTW (2001-2004)
Affiliations WCSH
Owner Nassau Broadcasting
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by radiowizard on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:42 am

I got tired of the oldies format because they do not vary off what some pinhead tells them to play...just like top 40 in the 60s...they have maybe 200 songs. I had requested songs I have and was told they didn't have them. Nuts! Even missing some "one-hit wonders." Phooey. I think my dislike is based on the fact that this format has been around since The Carpenters sang that song about oldies...since the mid 70s... I would love a decent station that plays 30s to 50s big band and pop standards. Can't even find that mix. I may find 50s rock and pop but that is still boring. I only wish I had the money to buy and run a nice station. Wouldn't let some suit tell me what to play as I would be the "suit." AM is nice to a degree as it has generally lower frequency response and fits the "sound" but many AMs go buhbye at sundown, or cut their power.
I guess that is why I only listen to talk radio on AM...and play CDs in the car and mp3s at work. Ahhh well.
End of line.
RadioWizard
radiowizard
radiowizard

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey radiowizard!!!!.
We have a station, in the Olympia area at 680Khz A.M.

What? You say you can't get them? Due to distance?
OH! contraire They are online. Just look for KBRD.

You can use Winamp, go to file and select play url.
copy and paste the below link and enjoy.
Right now they are playing Shine on Harvest Moon.

http://66.224.103.98:680/
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug K. on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:59 pm

I have an old laptop that I use to tune in this site: http://www.theradio.com/
Hook up my SSTRANS and I can listen all day...
Doug K.
Doug K.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Tress on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Scott, are you thinking of "The Crusher", by the Novas? I do have a copy of that record!

Although there are some half-decent oldies shows on in Pittsburgh, I am spoiled on my own AM transmitter system. At this point, I have over 1000 songs programmed into it, and I'm nowhere near done.

Tim KA3JRT

Tim Tress

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Naddy69 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:17 am

Unless you are into sports/talk, news/talk or politics/talk, there is nothing on commercial AM radio these days. I sometimes will listen to sports/talk, but that is all. The rest is simply boring.

I have AM transmitters and roll my own programming these days. There are several good internet stations, and I have MP3 players with thousands of OTR shows and music.

Naddy69

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Naddy69 wrote:Unless you are into sports/talk, news/talk or politics/talk, there is nothing on commercial AM radio these days. I sometimes will listen to sports/talk, but that is all. The rest is simply boring.

I have AM transmitters and roll my own programming these days. There are several good internet stations, and I have MP3 players with thousands of OTR shows and music.

It's a shame that the medium that originally transmitted our favorite tunes (AM radio) has been converted to such a format. That's why I rarely listen to AM radio anymore. I'd listen a lot more if they would change format to an oldies station here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Naddy69 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 pm

Go back further. It's a shame that the medium that originally transmitted all kinds of entertainment got converted to music only, then news only, then sports talk/political talk only.

The technology has simply passed AM. Now we have FM, satellite, internet, MP3 players and HD, 50" TVs. Few people have time for AM radio. The AMs here have added FM simulcasts. How long until they shut down the AM side?

Naddy69

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum