Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And now....

Go down

And now.... Empty And now....

Post by Wildcat445 Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:10 pm

I have a Bing Crosby record, "Bing With A Beat", on RCA Victor, LPM-1473, 1957, Mono. This is rather strange, since Bing started Decca records! Possibly the only Crosby recording on RCA? 12 Bing Crosby standards, including "Whispering", "Down Among The Sheltering Palms", "Some Sunny Day". Probably totally obscure, and one of those gems you get when you buy a half a pickup truck load of records for $3 at an auction.

One bit of trivia. Did you know that a company owned by Bing Crosby is generally credited for adapting and perfecting for consumer use magnetic recording tape. They used tape recorders confiscated from the Germans in World War 2. I did not know that until recently. Ampex made the first tape recorder for consumer use. It recorded on one side only. Introduced in 1948. Two track tape recorders were introduced by Ampex in 1950.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

And now.... Empty Re: And now....

Post by Dr. Radio Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Interesting....

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Actually, Bing Crosby recorded with a group in 1928 For the Victor company. I have one of their records, "Mississippi Mud".

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4425
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 pm

I did not know that. He was born in 1903, so he was older than I realized. He recorded on Brunswick, Decca, Reprise, RCA Victor, Verve, and United Artist. The source I got this from did not specifically mention Victor, but commonly it is incorporated with RCA Victor in statistics. Reprise started in 1963, so was Bing Crosby tossed from his own label? When did MCA buy Decca? "Bing With A Beat" was specifically mentioned in this article as a good seller, even in the early days of rock and roll, when Elvis was hot. I would not have suspected that, either. I just figured I had an old Bing Crosby record that nobody ever heard of. It does not say how many records he made for RCA. He must have recorded for either RCA or Brunswick, or both, until after the war when he started his relationship with Decca. His Verve and United Artists recordings must have come after Reprise? This article mentioned "Mississippi Mud" and the group he was with, but I have forgotten the name. Thanks for the input, Bill.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Wouldn't it be great to have that old music with better fidelity and tonal range? All those neat off-beat drum riffs and muted cornets? I like that stuff, but get frustrated that the fidelity is not better. I need to be more patient. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum