Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bubbling solder

Go down

Bubbling solder Empty Bubbling solder

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:02 pm

While on the ARF forum today One person has a problem with bad solder and was wondering how to fix it. Well again as usual the sight went down while I was trying to post my answer.
So I decided to post it here in the meantime.

In soldering, if the solder is heated too long then the elements in the solder separate tin vs lead. Another indication is a dirty solder joint. It may be more than just trapped rosin, could be oil, water, dirt, threads from brushing, epoxy, resin, fiberglass.

As was mentioned before completely remove old solder, as best as you can, the pads could have oxidation, copper does that.

I personally would use acid core solder just to get it cleaned up. Then remove the acid core solder, making sure to Completely remove the acid with water and alcohol. then re tin with the standard 63/37 or 60/40 rosin core solder. If that doesn't work then you will have to do some wire brushing, maybe with a Dremel tool. That should solve your problem. 😉
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Bubbling solder Empty Re: Bubbling solder

Post by Timaaay! on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 am

AFR went down? That never happens, does it? Smile
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tube radio on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:26 am

Surprise, Surprise!!!!!

tube radio

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken g on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:39 pm

I doubt the metals in solder separate . When solder starts getting ugly & chunky its dirty and lacks rosin or flux . I usually wire brush or scrape the connection , lug or wire and resolder and maybe a bit of solder paste flux stuff .

Water and alcohol will not clean up hard solder acid core . Wire brush and strong cleaner will.

Ken g

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum