Tube Radio Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-30-

2 posters

Go down

-30- Empty -30-

Post by 75X11 Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I got the new drive spring assembly for the Amberola 30 from Croakinfrog. I was wondering if it would be advisable to perform any maintenance or re-lubrication on it. The one currently in the phonoraph has plastic, amber colored grease on it. the replacement has some residual black grease on it's exterior. I'm rather leery of disassembling the spring unit, as I have not done so before. Would it be advisable to leave the assembly as is and lube the corresponding gearing? I started this thread as I didn't want to clutter up the phono picture thread.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

-30- Empty Re: -30-

Post by Bill Cahill Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Why not?? The gears should be lightly greased. Personally, I use white litheum grease. Shafts need thirty weight synthetic oil. Bearings, including governor, need light machine oil.Clean the black grease offf outer barrel.
There are four screws holding winding assembly to bed plate.
Don't forget to hook horn spring back on..

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4432
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:47 pm

I replaced the spring assembly this morning. It appears that the reproducer is out of alignment. When I packed the unit for moving, I had used ty raps around the front bar to prevent side to side movement and also used ty raps to secure the lift lever in the up position. Everything seemed to be in good order, but the stylus barely clears the cylinder, if at all (using different cylinders).
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:13 am

There is a screw on the lift lever bar  that you turn up to pick up the weight. That screw is what actually engages the weight. Won't need too much adjusting. It is supposed to put weight exactly at bottom of reproducer when lift lever is turned all the way up.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

I tried adjusting the screw. The reproducer then, when up, in order for the needle to clear a cylinder, fully contacts the metal housing that surrounds it. When I place the reproducer on the cylinder to play, it seems to have such tracking force as to slow the mandrel rotation and it seems to either lose contact or lose any movenent of the diaphragm, only sounding through 1/2 rotation of the cylinder during play. I am at a loss as to what to do now.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Are you removing the reproducer, and, putting it physically on record? If so, no wonder it won't work.. Also There is a set screw on the top back of reproducer. It should be slightly loose to allow free movement of the weight from side to side of of the pin on front.
Also, needle bar should have somewhat free vertical movement on its' pin on the weight. Not alot, but, some.  If any of these two things bind, it will cause trouble. If you continue to attempt to play records this way, it will dammage the cylinders,and, possibly  destroy the diamond point of the needle.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 pm

I am using the lift lever to place the reproducer on the record, in the same manner as the functioning assembly on my amberola 50. The pointed screw that pushes up the reproducer clears the bottom of the reproducer by about 1/16 inch when the reproducer is down.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:01 am

But, what about the reproducer itself?? If weight is stiff, It won't work right.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum