Tube Radio Forum - The friendliest radio forum on the net!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio Shack DX-397

Go down

Radio Shack DX-397 Empty Radio Shack DX-397

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

I purchased this radio on Sept 11, 2001 while at OBX N. Carolina.  The other day I found it in a drawer "looking" in perfect condition.   It was playing beautifully on the FM band but when I switched to AM or any of the SW bands it stayed on the FM band!  Opening up th radio revealed a lot of corrosion on the PCB. A lot of delicate cleaning got all 12 SW bands working again, but I still have problems with the AM (Broadcast) band not working. I believe it is an internal antenna problem.  My question is; what can I put on the raw PCB so it will not corrode again? Is there a spray similar to the green coating already on the PCB?

Back to top Go down

Radio Shack DX-397 Empty Re: Radio Shack DX-397

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm

This is the sort of material that is used industrially for the purpose. It has a uv tracer to show up for inspection io insure full coating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Chemicals-4223-Conformal-Coating-Urathane-with-UV-Indicator-/120798765436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c202ae17c
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for! Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 pm

I'll admit there are a lot of coatings you could use, but the next thing is to be able to get it off, if needed with the minum collateral damage. This allows that too, with the nature of the requsite solvents.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:31 am

quote-Is there a spray similar to the green coating already on the PCB?-quote

My question is why did the green coating you said was already on there not working?
What do you think caused the corrosion? Batteries?
What kind of coating was it, or is it?
I have used fingernail polish to good effect. And Acetone as a thinner.
Just to make sure though, you should inspect the board for silver migration, and use and epoxy with a two part (Devcon is great). We did that when covering small trace repairs in military Printed circuits which was acceptable by MIL Specs.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 912
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 am

I believe the corrosion was due to defective batteries. I may have removed the corroded batteries a long time ago and replaced them. ( I don't remember)  When I found the radio the other day it had batteries installed that were good. When it only received FM on all bands I decided to open it. The portion of PCB adjacent to the batteries was corroded. Delicate cleaning has it working again but but all the traces are raw copper again.

It is really a Sangean Sg622 with the Radio Shack name and is a great little radio.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum